Load test wait times.

Noidly1

How long should you wait between each test load?
I have 5 rounds of each, and 31 different loads in .2grn increments from 39.0 to 45.0grns.

With a fluted heavy Palma stainless barrel, how long can I expect it to take to go through all of them?
Do I wait in between each shot or run through each load and wait between loads?

TIA.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on the ambient temperature while you're shooting.

In general I like to fire the 3 to 5 round group at nearly the same time. That is to say something like 30 seconds between shots. Then let the barrel cool for 5 to 15 minutes before starting the next group.

It sounds like you have a lot of cartridges to shoot. How many shots can you fire accurately before fatigue sets in? I would have to break up shooting 155 rounds accurately over four range sessions. I would also want to clean the barrel half way through that.

OK. I ask because I let my hunting rigs cool pretty good between every two shots. Mimic the cold bore shots for hunting. Range/competition gun I keep the gun cool enough, but pay attention how its doing with warmth on the barrel.

A suggestion. You can limit component expense by first finding pressure with your selected powders, and getting an idea in that phase which powder is working the best. Then back off a grain and start the tuning by seating depth in 2 spots. Just off the touch of the lands, and .020 off. Trying to limp a non cooperating powder by eeking on it .2/10ths a grain is a waste of time, money, and money. You are turning cash into noise! LOL

How long should you wait between each test load?
I have 5 rounds of each, and 31 different loads in .2grn increments from 39.0 to 45.0grns.

With a fluted heavy Palma stainless barrel, how long can I expect it to take to go through all of them?
Do I wait in between each shot or run through each load and wait between loads?

TIA.
Why .2 grain increments? That creates a lot of shooting for little reason other than to burn components. Even on small capacity I'll run .5 grain hops. On bigger stuff I'll run a grain or two hops depending on if I've worked with the rifle before or not.
I'd run the start group and see where you are pressure/ accuracy wise. Likely you can hop up significantly on your next group. I don't have a crystal ball but I see bullet pulling in your future; you simply aren't going to learn anything new at 39.2 that you didn't know at 39...

I'm cheap so I just use a towel soaked in cold water to cool my barrel between strings.
I usually shoot when it's 30 degrees or colder. Barrel cools in less than one minute. Then reload the most accurate loads and shoot them again when temperature warms up in the spring. It takes a little longer, but I am old and not in a hurry.