Load suggestions for 300 WSM

Rickyrebar

Anyone interested in sharing information regarding an high velocity / accurate load for the 300 WSM.
I'm loading 180 Nosler Ballistic Silver Tips in Win Nickel plated brass using CCI magnum primers. My 1st attempt at this was using W760 powder, a load of 60.5 Gr, was the most accurate for my gun, this charge only yields a MV of 2826 f.p.s. (per the manual).
I'm looking for a high velocity load that will not sacrifice accuracy, my comfort range is no more than 400 yds.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Theres a bunch of folks on here that shoot and load for the 300wsm. I can give you loads for 270wsm, but I doubt that'd help.
Have you tried to do a search here on L/R/H ? Theres alot of old bones to be dug up and alot of very usefull info that way.

I don't shoot the Noslers anymore , switched to 185 grn. VLDs .

My current load...

62.7 grains H-4350
185 grn Berger VLD
Winchester brass
WLR primers

Work up to this load it is fairly hot in my Savage

Mike

Hey mike,

Im also looking for loads for the 300. wsm and i was looking at the Berger, Nosler and Barnes.

What speeds does that load shoot at by any chance?

Try between 63-65 grains H4350 with 180 grain bullets. You should find an
accurate load within that range. *65 grains is max load. I shot 64 gr. in mine and was 3015-3025 fps. and very accurate.
After trying different powders, H4350 gave best results. I was using a 180 gr.
Nosler accubond bullet and Federal 215 primer, Win. brass. Hope this helps

sorry cant help with the 180grainers but i have been loading some 155g Bergers out of my 300WSM useing Reloader 17. Velocities have been pretty good just over 3300fps. Started at about 67grains and worked up to 70g i stopped there and started playing with the seating depth. Have gotten under 1MOA and now waiting on my new stock before i continue any farther. Not sure this will help but if you try the 155s it might. :D

Hey mike,

Im also looking for loads for the 300. wsm and i was looking at the Berger, Nosler and Barnes.

What speeds does that load shoot at by any chance?

Matt , out of a 26" 1:10 twist factory savage barrel it runs 2995 ft/sec . It's been a very accurate load for me . As I said work up to it, it flattens the primer pretty good , no sticky bolt lift though.

Mike

I settled on a fast 150 grain load for my tikka t-3 light. 70 grains of H-414 gives me a very accurate 3380 fps with the 150 nosler Etip with a .469 BC. Run the numbers on that and you will see it is extremely flat shooting out to 600 yards. With a mil dot scope it is very easy to make solid reliable hits to 700 with enough velocity to kill about anything with the solid bullet. I pushed it up over 3400 fps but settled back for the most accuracy. With the solid copper alloy bullet retaining 95+% weight it will put down anything I will meet up with in Wyoming. Mine shoots best about .1 off the lands. With monometal alloy expanding bullets that retain 95+% of their weight you can shoot lighter, smaller caliber bullets much more effectively on game. In other words I would prefer to hit an animal with a 130 or 150 grain monometal bullet instead of a 180 grain lead based bullet. I have seen hundreds of animals shot through many years of hunting and guiding. From my experience I like to use quality hunting bullets designed for hunting instead of a higher BC bullet made by a target bullet company they try to market as a hunting bullet. There are a certain percentage of failures and lost animals. I can adjust for a slightly lower BC but not for poor bullet performance that shoots great but looses the animal. Some heavy large caliber target bullets you can get by with but not many. Shooting targets is one criteira, shooting at animals is a whole different ball game requiring top performance on game thrown into the equation.

I see on here most all the time guys are just looking for that highest BC top shooter. I just want people to remember if you hunt with some of them you will experience failures at times and everyone knows Murphy's law. It will fail on that once in a lifetime trophy animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.