Load recommendation for 1000 yards

All of the competitions I've competed in when it was my turn to sit behind the berm to mark the targets, I could tell by the crack of the bullet passing overhead that all of the guys shooting .308, they were all transonic or subsonic. I think you'll be hard pressed to get the velocity you want at 1000 yards.

What's ideal, and what a lot of people do, can be completely different.
I don't like any cartridge that is underpowered, or even overpowered, for intended use.

We have choices,, and a 308 doesn't have to be used for 1kyd.
I wouldn't choose it, or something like a 6PPC, for 1kyd..
Yeah I could point anything high enough and reach that distance and beyond. 22LR can do that.
Or, I could choose a 6BR variant, or many better suited cartridges, and everything I want gets easier.

One thing is for sure -it all begins with bullets.
Pick a LR bullet, and put a capacity behind it and barrel in front of it to get there like you should.

What's ideal, and what a lot of people do, can be completely different.
I don't like any cartridge that is underpowered, or even overpowered, for intended use.

We have choices,, and a 308 doesn't have to be used for 1kyd.
I wouldn't choose it, or something like a 6PPC, for 1kyd..
Yeah I could point anything high enough and reach that distance and beyond. 22LR can do that.
Or, I could choose a 6BR variant, or many better suited cartridges, and everything I want gets easier.

One thing is for sure -it all begins with bullets.
Pick a LR bullet, and put a capacity behind it and barrel in front of it to get there like you should.
While mostly true, it was not the Ops question, and in some competitions, your choices are not allowed. The Palma matches required 308/7.62x51 and the 155 gr bullet. When I shot mil semiauto 1,000 comp, it was basically 30-06 or 308, and given the ease of tuning a good 308 load in my NM M1A, it was a no brainer.

We even used 308's in our early 1k BR matches, and I might ad, with some good results. Are there faster, flatter and higher BC loads for 1,000? Sure! But, that wasn't the Ops question, and in some cases, limited mandated choice. YMMV

At our NCPPRC (NorCal Practical Precision Rifle Club) annual LR clinics, invariably someone will show up w/ a .308 and a few boxes of 168 FGM's. Most of them have a very hard time making it to 800-1000 yds. and have to bow out as we can't let them continue if they can't stay on a 6'x6' square target frame, let alone the 20"x30" actual target.
The 155's pushed fast or the 175's all do well in this regard, and are the rounds we recommend. The .308 is a great tool for learning to read wind/drops. Makes you pay attention!

Hi, all!
I have been shooting last weekend at 880 meters to a target in a championship and I had a very big problem because the bullets came subsonic to the target and the sensor did not detect most of them. It was strange because I used my usual load and it never happened. I used a Remington 700 milspec 5r in 308w. The load was with Sierra HPBT 168gr, brass Lapua, primers Murom and 44.8gr of Swiss powder RS50. This was the maximum load with good precision. If I use more powder then it wouldn't be under 0,5MOA and I don't want that.

I would like you to recommend me a good load for shooting at least 1000-1100 yards with a good margin, for not being subsonic at that distance. Could you help me? I have already tried TMK 168gr, TMK 195gr and HPBT 175gr with bad results. The last one was the best in precision, but with over pressure.

Have a great day!

What is your barrel length ? 20" or 24" ?

I have a Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec , .308 Win. , with a 24" barrel , 1:11.25" twist that I shoot Sierra 175gr Matchking and 175gr Tipped Match King bullets , at just over 2700 FPS , and I have no trouble at 1000 yards , and out to 1200 yards .
Federal Gold Medal brass , Winchester large Rifle primers , and Hodgdon Varget , or IMR 4064 powders , 2.815" overall length , that fit into the factory magazine .
Both powders shoot with equal accuracy , but the Varget is slightly faster velocity (2740 FPS) and more temperature stabilized than the IMR 4064 (2710 FPS) .

I have shot both of these powders in F-TR 1000 Yard matches .

DMP25-06

Shooting a Buragra HMR-PRO in 300 WM. Using mixed brass, CCI LRM Primers, 79 gr H-1000 powder. And a 180 gr SST, seems to work for me

Actually I have to say that the load with Sierra 168 HPBT was extremely good. At 600 yards I competed with custom F-class rifles and I did better than half of them. And at 1000 yards I know the accuracy was very good, because I was previously trying the load shooting stones at 1000 yards with very good results. The only bad thing was the poor velocity at that range.
I think I'm going to try the 185 Juggernaut because some of you had good results and I think it will be stable. What pressure/speed do you think I will need for being supersonic at 1000 yards?

What is your barrel length ? 20" or 24" ?

I have a Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec , .308 Win. , with a 24" barrel , 1:11.25" twist that I shoot Sierra 175gr Matchking and 175gr Tipped Match King bullets , at just over 2700 FPS , and I have no trouble at 1000 yards , and out to 1200 yards .
Federal Gold Medal brass , Winchester large Rifle primers , and Hodgdon Varget , or IMR 4064 powders , 2.815" overall length , that fit into the factory magazine .
Both powders shoot with equal accuracy , but the Varget is slightly faster velocity (2740 FPS) and more temperature stabilized than the IMR 4064 (2710 FPS) .

I have shot both of these powders in F-TR 1000 Yard matches .

DMP25-06
My barrel length is 24". I have exactly the same rifle that you have. For me 175gr Matchking worked extremely well in accuracy, but my most accurate load was overpressured and I had problems opening the bolt. So I discard it. Did you have better results with 175 Matchking or with 175 Tipped Matchking?