Load recommendation for 1000 yards

Praire Dog

Hi, all!
I have been shooting last weekend at 880 meters to a target in a championship and I had a very big problem because the bullets came subsonic to the target and the sensor did not detect most of them. It was strange because I used my usual load and it never happened. I used a Remington 700 milspec 5r in 308w. The load was with Sierra HPBT 168gr, brass Lapua, primers Murom and 44.8gr of Swiss powder RS50. This was the maximum load with good precision. If I use more powder then it wouldn't be under 0,5MOA and I don't want that.

I would like you to recommend me a good load for shooting at least 1000-1100 yards with a good margin, for not being subsonic at that distance. Could you help me? I have already tried TMK 168gr, TMK 195gr and HPBT 175gr with bad results. The last one was the best in precision, but with over pressure.

Have a great day!

175 Nosler rdf at modest muzzle velocity makes it to 1000 above the sound barrier by my math. Mine seems to like imr 4895 pushing them. I had heck hitting 1k with 168s then I loaded those rdf up.

You should not intend to shoot through transonic.
Terrible cartridge for 1kyd
Terrible? Nonsense. Less than ideal I'll buy for certain..... particularly if the twist rate is not enough to stabilize a longer high BC bullet. However, being the OP is from Spain, he may not have a lot of options on available calibers/chamberings as we do here in the states.

Terrible? Nonsense. Less than ideal I'll buy for certain..... particularly if the twist rate is not enough to stabilize a longer high BC bullet. However, being the OP is from Spain, he may not have a lot of options on available calibers/chamberings as we do here in the states.
That's the problem. The options here are not very much. I have different kinds of bullets, but only RS and Vihtavuori powder.
The twist is 1:11,25. So 195gr bullets were not stable. Maybe I should try Sierra TMK 175gr, what do you think about it?

That's the problem. The options here are not very much. I have different kinds of bullets, but only RS and Vihtavuori powder.
The twist is 1:11,25. So 195gr bullets were not stable. Maybe I should try Sierra TMK 175gr, what do you think about it?
I starting with a rifle just like that. The Berger 185 Juggernaut really woke it up. Still use the Juggs in a 1:10 .308 for F/TR. 600 and 1000 yards.

185 Juggernaut, Lapua brass, CCI Br2, 44 grains AR2208, 2.9" COL, 2660fps, there not picky on seating depth or twist rates either.
I've had this load on steel out to 1600m, the 185 juggernaut was specifically designed to shoot through the transonic velocity, where gyroscopic stability becomes the concern.

Last edited:
168 ELD-M, 168 berger, 175 berger, 185 berger, 168 TMK, 175 TMK, and probably a couple more that will get you to 1k and stabilize in your twist. If you do a little research that 168 smk is basically THE worst bullet for 1k in 308. You'd probably have better luck getting to 1k with 180 gr gamekings TBH. You need to do a little research into form factor. I think Berger has theirs listed alongside BC.

Hi, all!
I have been shooting last weekend at 880 meters to a target in a championship and I had a very big problem because the bullets came subsonic to the target and the sensor did not detect most of them. It was strange because I used my usual load and it never happened. I used a Remington 700 milspec 5r in 308w. The load was with Sierra HPBT 168gr, brass Lapua, primers Murom and 44.8gr of Swiss powder RS50. This was the maximum load with good precision. If I use more powder then it wouldn't be under 0,5MOA and I don't want that.

I would like you to recommend me a good load for shooting at least 1000-1100 yards with a good margin, for not being subsonic at that distance. Could you help me? I have already tried TMK 168gr, TMK 195gr and HPBT 175gr with bad results. The last one was the best in precision, but with over pressure.

Have a great day!
Check your barrel twist rate. Might not be optimum for the heavy for caliber longer bullets. They my not be stabilizing. 308 is running out of legs at 1000yds. Today, there certainly are better cartridges for 1000yd, but 308 has been banging steel and bad guys at that range for a long time. 308 is a great cartridge to learn ballistics and wind.