Load Info Requested!

G

I've got two brand spanking new Sako TRG-42 rifles I just put into my safe equipped with US Optics scopes. Both of these rifles belong to friends that are flying support for our troops abroad and these guys left these rifles with me until they come back this Fall. They requested I load them some ammo and obtain LR zeros for them. It appears that H1000 can be possibly worked up to with grainage up to 100 but I know that of course depends upon each rifles maybe 'persnickity attitude'! I know that some of you guys have worked with this cartridge (.338 Lapua) previously so I'm wondering if maybe you could give me a 'heads up' considering your experience?? Bullet is Lapua 250 gr. Scenar. I"m wondering about the usage of maybe Retumbo or RL-25 in this cartridge! Your experience would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

RICK MULHERN
Rayville, La. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick,

Heres goes an excerpt I took from a very nice article wrote by Terje Fjørtoft ( Norway ) on both the TRG-22 and 42 rifles. Hope it helps.

Reloading for the TRG-42 (.338 LM)

For the .338 LM, I started with a 250gr Scenar and 95 grains of Vitavuori N-170. That load was very accurate at about 850 m/sec, but it produced excessive muzzle flash. And, in the winter, the muzzle velocity was inconsistent, and there was too much unburned powder.

Next I tried Norma N-15. An 84.8 grain load of N-15 proved very accurate at about 880 m/sec. With that load I shot my best TRG-42 group at 380 meters. I set the 250gr Scenar to touch the rifling with 93.2 mm COAL, and I used Federal 215m primers in Lapua-brand brass. Norma MPR2 (92.6 grains) and VV N-560 (85 grains; 860 m/sec) also were very accurate with the 250 Scenar.

My seal hunting bullet was the 200gr Nosler BT. This bullet grouped very well with 90-94 grains Norma N-15. Velocity was about 970m/sec if I remember correctly.

I also tried the 300 Sierra MK, and got 1/2" 3-shot groups at 100 meters with 93.5 grains of VV N-170, but this combination produced terrible groups at longer range.

Loading for the .338 LM was not difficult--about the same as loading for .308 Win, except that you use nearly twice the amount of powder. I didn't crimp the bullets in the neck, didn't use any special tricks or neck lube. I used RCBS .338 LM full-length die. That functioned, but it would not be my first choice today. Overall, my better loads in the .338 shot in the 0.5-0.7 MOA range. My best group was four shots in 25mm (1") at 380 meters (416 yards)"

Gustavo

Thanks for your help! Just so happens I have on hand....all those powders!

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.