Load help for 340 Weatherby

old school

Can anyone give me some suggestions for loads, I have a Weatherby Accumark, with a 26" Lilja barrel. I haven't shot much over the past few years, just couldn't afford to shoot that often paying 80-90 dollars for a box of ammo, so just recently started reloading. I've tried loading Barnes Tipped TSX, and Nosler Accubond so far. Can anyone help me out with some loads, I have a super accurate rifle, and would like to get the most out of it.

For a normal hunting load all of my 340's have liked 250 gr bullets around 2900 fps. H-1000 is my powder of choice.

Great rifle you have, but watch the solid coppers. They have a habbit of fouling the bore pretty quick. Gets some Bore Tech Eliminator and clean often. Make sure you clean before trying diffrent bullets too.

Jeff

The best powder I have tried is RE25, it proved very consistent in both pressure and top velocity in my custom Model 70 with 26" barrel.
All bullet weights from 200gr - 250gr have grouped very well, averaging .25-.5 MoA over a 10 shot group. I don't see the point of a 180gr bullet in this calibre.

I will not post the actual loads on here, some would say they are hot, but my pressure trace II would disagree!

The biggest aspect of getting this powder to work consistently is packing scheme, all cases need to be loaded to the same height in the case. I use the 'swirl charge' method to expedite this. I dump into the pan and then swirl pour into case using a funnel. 'As dumped' charges will not do this with this powder!

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts