Load for Remington R15 223

rtv900

I bought a Remington R15 (AR15) in 223 the other day. I am going to use it as one of my guns for coyote hunting. The gun has an 18 inch barrel with a 1:7 twist rate. What would you guys suggest I use for a bullet weight?

Also, what would you suggest for a load for this gun. I have a friend that reloads and if I buy the brass, powder, primers and bullets he will reload for me. I was thinking about trying some berger bullets. Please let me know what you suggest.

I'm shooting 55gr V-Max's in mine with Benchmark powder.
I'd certainly try Varget and Bergers. Once hunting season slow's I'm going to work up some Berger loads.

I'm shooting 55gr V-Max's in mine with Benchmark powder.
I'd certainly try Varget and Bergers. Once hunting season slow's I'm going to work up some Berger loads.

How do you like your Remington R15? Are you getting good groups? I hope this AR is a good shooter. Thanks for your reply.

Take a look at the Nosler 60 gr BT. It should make for a great long range coyote bullet.

JD338

With a 7 twist I would have to give the 90 bergers and SMks a try. I have had better luck geting the SMKs to group well, but I am pretty sure it is barrel specific. I cant recall my load at all, but want to asy around 26gr......you better check that over at 6mmBR's 223 load page

Eddbo, my R-15 is a 1:9 twist.

rtv900, I'm really enjoying my R-15 so far. My prior 223 AR was a DPMS Bull 20"
Awesome rifle , but a little on the heavy side packing around the hills calling and shooting P-Dogs. That's what I like about the Remington. Very light weight.

I have done zero load work on the R-15 so far, but it shoots the 55gr V-max's I had loaded for my DPMS right at 1" at a 100 yards. I'm sure once the barrel is broke in and with some tweaking of loads, she'll group better.

They are a neat little rifle though. Here's how I set mine up.
3-9 x 36 Swarovski, harris bipod, DPMS two-stage trigger.
rifles012.jpg

Eddbo, my R-15 is a 1:9 twist.

Thanks for the info. I am confused about the rate of twist. I have read that mine is 1:7 and your is 1:9. I will have to check the Remington web site to see if I can clarify mine. I am going to mount a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 on mine for now. I hope to have that done tonight so I can go to the range tomorrow.

My AR has a 1:8 18" barrel and LOVES the 60gr V-MAX bullets. The Black Hills Blue Box molly coated to be exact.

Due to expense and unavailibility of Black Hills ammo right now, I've worked up some 60gr V-Max loads and will post the results as soon as I've had a chance to shoot them.

I'm anxious to hear what you discover as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.