Load for Modern 6.5x55 with 142 SMK

woodcr24

Hello All,
Looking for some feedback from those reloading 6.5x55 to get the maximum potential for modern rifles. I've got a new Tikka T3 Sporter on the way, and the factory ammo that's generally available doesn't even do my 96 Swedish Mausers and CG-63 full justice. To be clear, I'm looking for loads to be used in the Tikka, only, and using the 142-grain SMK. In researching this subject, I've seen plenty of references to loading to a max pressure of 60K PSI; while I would likely go with less pressure, I am curious nonetheless as to what has produced accurate loads for those of you who are likeminded. FWIW, I will be referencing Quickload, however I'd rather have some input from those who have been down this road before I lay down a lot of money to test different powders.

Thanks for your time.

Best,

Chris

I have T3 light in 6.5x55. It will shoot sub moa with 38 gr or Varget with about every 140 gr bullet I have tried.

I have T3 light in 6.5x55. It will shoot sub moa with 38 gr or Varget with about every 140 gr bullet I have tried.

I have a savage action with 26" McGowen barrel. 48gr H4831 yields good accuracy and a velocity of ~2850. I have loaded up to 50 grains but would occasionally get a sticky bolt lift.
H4350 also worked well. If I remember correctly the max load was around 45 grains. Both loads are well over book max so proceed with caution.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.