Load for an AR 15

243yote

My friend finally realized the benefits of reloading and wants to know what a good reload would be for an AR 15 ? What would be a good powder to start with and if that is not available what would be a good second choice? The bullet would be 55 grain. I can get TAC or Xterminator powder if anyone has used that before and a load for that would be helpful.Any info would be helpful. Thanks.:rolleyes:

52gr Hornady Match and 52 SMK have shot the best out of my ar's. I have also had excellent results with both the 55gr Vmax and 55 gr Amax. I have not tried any of the Ramshot powders, yet. I've used mainly Varget and W748. Varget works great with my .223/5.56, .308, and .22-250, so that's what I use. I have a bunch of other powders I bought but have not tried.

I tried 60gr Partitions, but the best I could do was about 2.5" at 100 yards. They didn't group well in my .22-250 either.

BTW, the black rifle disease (BRD) is very, very addicting. I started with my Bushy Varminter, then it grew with my DPMS AP4 in .308, and then my first build (Spike's lower, Magpul CTR, YHM Forearm, & Bushy Patrolman's M4 barrel), and now I have a KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.