load for a 300 win mag to shoot 1000 yards

muttly64

Hi I am new to the 1000 yard shooting with 300 win mags and I would like to know what load would be best and the speed I would be looking at and projectile. I have shot out to 600 yards frequently but would like to try the 1000 yard mark.
Can any one help ?
gun):)

Hi I am new to the 1000 yard shooting with 300 win mags and I would like to know what load would be best and the speed I would be looking at and projectile. I have shot out to 600 yards frequently but would like to try the 1000 yard mark.
Can any one help ?

Welcome.:D
You can try a few powders, but no matter what anybody recommends, only your rifle will tell you what it likes. 3 powders come to mind, H1000 (2217), RE22 and RE25. Bullets, I use 200gr Nosler Accubonds, have tried SMK's, A-Max's and if I can get them again, 215gr Hybrid Bergers. The Accubonds are by far the most accurate in my rifle. I get around 3100fps in my 28" barrel.
Where are you going to be shooting?
I'm originally from Maryborough, so know a few ranges out that way.

Cheers.
gun)

Thanks magnummaniac. I have a lot of properties where I can shoot out to about 1500. I don't know of any ranges where I can shoot 1000 around ballarat.
Do you have a preference in brass and primers.
Thanks again.

Tried 180gr Remington this morning. Shot jagged pin hole at 200yards. Question is it worth reloading and would these shoot 1000 yards

I prefer Lapua brass, but they don't make it anymore, I bought lots several years ago.
Norma is the best, IMHO, but Remington or Winchester brass is very good as long as you prep it correctly and sort it for capacity. I also anneal after the fireforming shot, then anneal every other firing. 1000yrds is critical to have a very consistent load with low ES and SD.
Depending on bullet weight, 2900fps-3100fps is what you need, but it HAS to be uniform in velocity.
If testing loads with new brass, you will need to re-test with the fireformed brass, it WILL be different than the initial load in new brass.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

I have never annealed brass what is involved and what does it do?
Annealing essentially softens brass, it is only the neck that we anneal, it provides uniform neck tension becausebbrass work hardens, every time you size it back, it hardens just a little each time, this stops the brass being 'springy' and neck tension will be stiffer progressively.
You anneal by heating the neck with a torch at 650ºF for 6-8 seconds, I anneal and drop them into water, it changes nothing, but guarantees only the necks are annealed. You do not want to soften anywhere else, especially the case head.
If you haven't done it before, look it up on youtube, there's heaps of instructional clips on there.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.