Load for 300WM Shilen 1:10 barrel ?

huntstat

May I call on those more experienced than me for suggestions for appropriate hunting load for my 300WM that has a new Shilen 1:10 barrel? I will probably be shooting out to 600 yds. at deer / elk. Any experience with this caliber and barrel will be most appreciated and will save me much time and money. Thanks very much.

71.7 grains imr-4350
accubond 180s
3150ish
(72.5 shows cratering in my rifle)
careful with this load it IS hot start lower and work up

Last edited:
69.7 grains imr-4350
190 grain bergers
3050ish
(70.5 shows cratering in my rifle)

69.5grains imr-4350
sierra matchking 200
3025ish
( in my rifle 70.25 starts to show cratering)

69 grains imr 4350
amax 208
2975ish
(in my rifle 70 starts to show cratering)

Last edited:
Huntstat, what components are available to you? Sometimes that has a lot to do with it. If available, I like the Hodgon powders. I shoot this caliber a lot and have had best accuracy with H-4831SC. I get a little more velocity out of H-1000, but the groups open up just a bit. Still good though. I have also used RE-22 quite a bit in the past, but switched over to Hodgon after reading about the temp stability issues. RE-22 is a good powder though with lots of power.

If you are planning on shoothing/hunting to 600 yds. the 180 bullets will do plenty for you. I shoot the 180 Accubond and have had great success with it. I figure it will work for me to 800 yds. You can also go heavier if needed.

Brass, for me it's Norma. I gave up on the cheaper ones in this caliber long ago. Less consistency in my opinion.

Whatever you go with, make sure you do work up loads and watch for signs of pressure. Every gun is different. Tell us more about your gun.

we use 71 to 72.5 of re-22 for long range, for deer and short range( 600 and less) 168cbt and I-4350. lapua brass.

My favorite is a 210 Berger VLD over H-1000 Start with 73 gr and work up. I usually end up with them .010" off the lands. I have used this in several 300 wins with great sub moa accuracy.

Jeff

Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your expertise with me. I now have some good information to begin my quest for a great load in my 300 WM.

My rifle is a Gre-Tan rifle made by Greg Tannel out of Kersey, CO. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!

Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your expertise with me. I now have some good information to begin my quest for a great load in my 300 WM.

My rifle is a Gre-Tan rifle made by Greg Tannel out of Kersey, CO. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!

May I inquire as to a picture of said rifle? Sounds like something we all need to see.:D

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.