Load for 300 Rum w/210 Bergers

Cordell

I just ordered some Berger 210's for my 300 Rum. I will be using Rem brass, federal 215 primers and Retumbo powder.

I was wondering if any one could provide me a starting and ending point with his combo.

As far as I can tell a muzzle velocity around 3,000 should be doable.

Any info you can provide would be a GREAT help.

Thanks

If you will email berger they will email you back with their starting load and maximum load . That is what I did, I believe their start load for retumbo was 85.5 grains. Tonite I will get my load data out and post it tomorrow I use federal 215 match primers retumbo powder and the berger 210 hunting vld. I also ran my load through a chrony and I'll post it as well . What length barrel do you have ?

Bigbuck

Bigbuck,

Any info you can provide I would like to see, thanks.

I have 26 inch factory barrel right now. Hope to swap it over to a 28 in Brux or Rock Creek a few years down the road. After my 338 is built.

I just got back from the range shooting some 210 Bergers with 95 gr of Retumbo with an MV of 3200 plus (the low battery was also flashing) and no excessive pressure sings, This is a factory Sendero 26" barrel I got about .4 MOA to 212 yds. Going back tomorrow with some more to shoot at farther ranges and a new battery. Seated about .010 off the lands.

95 gr is more than most will find as max. I've seen some posts saying about 93 grs. You should be safe starting at 87 or 88 IMO. You *should* be able to get 3100-3150 with the 210's and Retumbo, but every rifle is different.

Mark

MontanaRifleman,

Thanks for the info, its good to hear the 210's are working so well. Keep me up dated if you would, I'd like to hear how you do on your next outing. Feel free to send me an IM or email.

Thanks again

Cordell

Results from the range today...

210 Bergers, 95 gr Retumbo, 1.5" @ 332 yds, 2.5" @ 427 yds, chrony velocites ran from 3140-3216, but I'm sure that was the chrony and not the actual ES of the loads.

180 E-Tips, 97.5 gr Retumbo, 1.5" @ 332 yds, 1.9" @ 427 yds, velocities were all ovwer the place from 3100's to 3500+, again, the chrony and not the load.

It seemed to change as the angle of the sun changed and really freaked out in the shade. I'm guessing the velociteis were about 3160-3170 for the Bergers and 3400+ for the E-Tips based on past performences.

These groups were shot in about a 4-8 mostly head, slightly quartering wind.

Mark

BTW, I shot a 210 with about 90g of Retumbo behind it through an 9" wet log at close range. This was good not rotten wood at all--just wet. Saw the remains of it hit something down range. Might try this again with something behind the log to catch what's left of the bullet to get a better idea of what's going on. Not too scientific, perhaps, but I was curious what would happen with this bullet.

Cordell, This has been my experience with 210 bergers in my remington 300 rum.

OAL 3.675
Primer 215M
Remington weight sorted brass.
85.5G Average MV 2845
86.0G Average MV 2839
86.5G Average MV 2882
91.5G Average MV 3112

85.5G was my best load as for groups 3 shot group @ 200 yards measured .256

Bigbuck

I just got back from the range shooting some 210 Bergers with 95 gr of Retumbo with an MV of 3200 plus (the low battery was also flashing) and no excessive pressure sings, This is a factory Sendero 26" barrel I got about .4 MOA to 212 yds. Going back tomorrow with some more to shoot at farther ranges and a new battery. Seated about .010 off the lands.

95 gr is more than most will find as max. I've seen some posts saying about 93 grs. You should be safe starting at 87 or 88 IMO. You *should* be able to get 3100-3150 with the 210's and Retumbo, but every rifle is different.

Mark

MR, I wish I was getting that speed. With 94.7g (~3.85 OAL and -.010 off lands) the GM215M is cratered pretty well, but either no ejector pin mark or the very faintest of marks on some cases. I think the FED primers are pretty soft. I just set primers in the cases for the third time yesterday and they are as tight and consistent as ever--no noticeable primer pocket expansion. I shot a 94.5g load the other day at the range at 300yd prone with bipod and rear bag that I use while hunting (keep in mind this is a unbraked factory gun with close to 1400 rnds through it) after 2 foulers, managed to keep the next 20 rounds in a sub MOA group with quite a few of those going in to a large ragged hole. Still working on consistent shooting form--who isn't?

Edit: Just saw this post:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-168-vld-results-elk-48215/#post324492

Hope these 210's don't do that. When I was emailing back and forth with Walt Berger, he was reccomended the .30 cal 168 Berger for my brother in his .300 WSM for elk. It seemed there was something in particular about that bullet that he thought was good for elk.

Reference to an earlier post where Walt sent me some data he produced for the 210 using QL:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/r22-210-vlds-300rum-46947/

Hopefully, this'll help the OP because it's the same info he'll get if he emails Berger. Scroll down page one a ways and you'll see where Eaglet (who's smarter than me) put the infor in a nice table format... :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good info fellas, I will have to give it all a try one I have the longer box installed and a DE muzzle brake put on.

I am very interested to see how the 210's group in my gun and how the do on deer and elk sized game.

MR, I wish I was getting that speed. With 94.7g (~3.85 OAL and -.010 off lands) the GM215M is cratered pretty well, but either no ejector pin mark or the very faintest of marks on some cases. I think the FED primers are pretty soft. I just set primers in the cases for the third time yesterday and they are as tight and consistent as ever--no noticeable primer pocket expansion. I shot a 94.5g load the other day at the range at 300yd prone with bipod and rear bag that I use while hunting (keep in mind this is a unbraked factory gun with close to 1400 rnds through it) after 2 foulers, managed to keep the next 20 rounds in a sub MOA group with quite a few of those going in to a large ragged hole. Still working on consistent shooting form--who isn't?

Edit: Just saw this post:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-168-vld-results-elk-48215/#post324492

Hope these 210's don't do that. When I was emailing back and forth with Walt Berger, he was reccomended the .30 cal 168 Berger for my brother in his .300 WSM for elk. It seemed there was something in particular about that bullet that he thought was good for elk.

Reference to an earlier post where Walt sent me some data he produced for the 210 using QL:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/r22-210-vlds-300rum-46947/

Hopefully, this'll help the OP because it's the same info he'll get if he emails Berger. Scroll down page one a ways and you'll see where Eaglet (who's smarter than me) put the infor in a nice table format... :)

Jon, yeah I saw the 168 VLD vs the elk thread. The Bergers are not my first choice for a hunting bullet but they showed a lot of promise in the accuracy dept so I worked up a load for them. I'm not real sure about the velocoites because I dont completely trust my Chrony Alpha. I'm fairly sure I'm getting over 3150 and possibly 3200 with the 210's and 95 gr of Retumbo. The 180 E-Tips and 200 AB's are my first choices for bullets, but the local stores are out of the AB's. I think I'm getting 3400 plus with the E-Tips. I need to confirm the trajectories at longer ranges. The range I'm shooting at is only 427 yds - need to find a spot for some longer shots. The E-Tips edged out the Bergers in accuracy @ 427 yds and were the same at 332 yds (earlier post). As soon as I can find some more Retumbo, I'll be loading some E-Tips. I haven't really fine tuned these loads yet and I think I can squeeze some tighter groups from them. The 200 AB's were shooting a little better than the E-Tips @ 100 and 212. I am pleased so far.

Mark

On that 168 Berger post, I'll be interested to see if the OP can confirm if the bullet being used was the hunting bullet or the thick jacket bullet--a good point that Coyboy brought up. I'm hoping they accidentally used the thick jacketed bullet...

For what it's worth. 97.0 of retumbo, F215M primers and the 180 Etip gives in the mid 3300's in both my 300 rums. Both have 26" barrels.
With 95.0 grains consistently gives 3150-3180 with 200 ABs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.