Load Development

Smoothie25

Looking for some help on interpreting this data. This is a 30-06 tikka shooting 180 AB. I used a magnetospeed shooting at 100 yards. I'm torn between chasing low SD/ES or group size... What load would you guys/gals try next?

54.5gr - 1.6"
Avg 2579
SD 22
ES 44

55gr - 1.2"
Avg 2596
SD 18
ES 33

55.5gr - 1.3"
Avg 2642
SD 10
ES 19

56gr - .96"
Avg 2669
SD 10
ES 20

56.5gr - .4"
Avg 2688
SD 19
ES 38

57gr - .8"
Avg 2714
SD 15
ES 29

57.5gr - .9"
Avg 2735
SD 7
ES 14

58gr - 1.5"
Avg 2756
SD 6
ES 12

1588205428513.jpeg

Last edited:
You pose a very good question. I'm not the most experienced compared to others here that I'm sure will chime in shortly but to me it's all the above. The 56.5 load to me shows the most promise. Not knowing your full procedure on the reloading bench, this load has the best group to start and you may be able to shrink the ES/SD with some tweeking of seating depth, brass sorting, and so on. I too would be interested to hear some other opinions.

Tune velocity with the powder charge. Tune accuracy with seating depth. Take the chrono off and shoot groups. On a sporter weight barrel I get significant point of impact and group size differences with the Magnetospeed attached. I'd shoot between 57.5-58.0 as long as pressure wasn't high. Then adjust your seating depth to tighten the groups up.

I would run a pressure test in .5 gr increments with Chrono to find your top end velocity to find where over pressure signs start.

Are you using new brass or brass that's fully formed to your chamber?
Are you bumping shoulders? Do you have tools to measure the base to datum on shoulder. How are you weighing powder? I'm asking, as these things make a difference when offering help.

I'm using brass that's been fired in this gun before. It's FL sized.

I don't have tools to measure the shoulder. Is this something I should consider? What are the advantages to know how much the shoulder expands after firing?

I'm a little hesitant to go much higher than 58gr as that's already 1.5gr above book max. However, I didn't have any pressure signs at 58. I'm using H4350.

Yes, you do need some measuring equipment. I think there are some handloading introductions, "Basics, Starting Out" in this LRH site. I wouldn't want to get to handloading until I bought and understood the minimum basic equipment. It's a safety thing. Check out books and videos online too.

I'm using brass that's been fired in this gun before. It's FL sized.

I don't have tools to measure the shoulder. Is this something I should consider? What are the advantages to know how much the shoulder expands after firing?

I'm a little hesitant to go much higher than 58gr as that's already 1.5gr above book max. However, I didn't have any pressure signs at 58. I'm using H4350.

Fired brass is GTG, sounds like no problem there, with the exception of the resizing. First, your brass may have not expanded to fit your barrel's chamber with one firing. Second, if you set up your dies according to the manufacturer, you may be bumping the shoulder back excessively which can lead to case head separation.

I would advise you get the Hornady headspace tools, they are cheap and can help prevent an accident.

There are better powders for '06 that will give you a bit more velocity, but for now try to get your resizing die set up correctly and let the brass fit your chamber. Then start your load work.

If you don't have headspace comparators, here's what I'd do. Take you firing pin assembly out of your bolt and remove the plunger ejector if your bolt has one. You're going to need a few cases that were fired in your chamber. Set your seating die so the die bottoms out on the shell holder like normal, then back off 1/2 a turn. Size a case and see if the bolt closes with just freely dropping it. Most likely it won't. Take another case and run your die down 1/8 turn and repeat trying to chamber it with just letting the bolt fall. Do this until the bolt will freely close and open up with no resistance. Set your die and you're done.

Another thing I'd like to add after looking at your groups some more, if you look at your groups from 57.0-58.0 I see a trend of two shots touching and one flyer. In my experience, if everything else is working and right, this points me to seating depth like I mentioned earlier. The rifle shows potential with the 56.0 grain load. When you take the Magnetospeed off, you could have completely different results though. I'd run like 57.7gr and then do a seating depth test.

Depending on how much room you have in your magazine, will depend where you should load your longest rounds. I typically will start about .020 off the lands and work backwards in .010 increments. What you have shows potential, so you could simply seat your bullets deeper or closer in .003-.005 increments until the flyer comes in and the groups shrink. You could also do a wide seating depth test to find the most forgiving seating depth node. This will find a window from say .040-.060 off that has the same point of impact and groups are good. You might not get 1/4" groups with this seat length, but you'll get good results and you will have a consistent and forgiving load you don't have to tweak every 50-100 rounds. There's many ways to tune your load and rifle, you just have to find what you like or what works for you.

Another thing I'd like to add after looking at your groups some more, if you look at your groups from 57.0-58.0 I see a trend of two shots touching and one flyer. In my experience, if everything else is working and right, this points me to seating depth like I mentioned earlier. The rifle shows potential with the 56.0 grain load. When you take the Magnetospeed off, you could have completely different results though. I'd run like 57.7gr and then do a seating depth test.

Depending on how much room you have in your magazine, will depend where you should load your longest rounds. I typically will start about .020 off the lands and work backwards in .010 increments. What you have shows potential, so you could simply seat your bullets deeper or closer in .003-.005 increments until the flyer comes in and the groups shrink. You could also do a wide seating depth test to find the most forgiving seating depth node. This will find a window from say .040-.060 off that has the same point of impact and groups are good. You might not get 1/4" groups with this seat length, but you'll get good results and you will have a consistent and forgiving load you don't have to tweak every 50-100 rounds. There's many ways to tune your load and rifle, you just have to find what you like or what works for you.
Jud96, I know every rifle and combo of parts has endless variables but have you seen a more often than not direction of seat depth? As in from your starting point to where you end up does it normally tighten the group going longer or shorter. Like I said I know the component variables are endless just didn't know if you seen a "normally" situation in your experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.