Load Development with Berger VLD's

megastink

I have some 130gr .277 Berger VLD Hunting bullets that I'm going to work up a load for my Savage .270 Win with. Berger suggests that you seat the bullets off the lands a few thou. This is my first time loading Bergers, so should I load my ladder test rounds touching the lands and mess with seating depth later, or should I load them all, say, .004 off the lands to start with and refine seating depth later?

Easy - start 0.050" off, run powder, be done most likely.

Hard - run a full VLD seating depth test, most likely end up at 0.050" or 0.090" off, run powder, be done.

I say start 0.050" off because sticking a bullet is a bad deal and that's far enough to not get one jammed - my experience (and the data below shows) there's no need to be all snuggled up and cuddly with the lands. Use the ~20 rounds you save picking and sticking with to shoot from field positions.

Easy - start 0.050" off, run powder, be done most likely.

Hard - run a full VLD seating depth test, most likely end up at 0.050" or 0.090" off, run powder, be done.

I say start 0.050" off because sticking a bullet is a bad deal and that's far enough to not get one jammed - my experience (and the data below shows) there's no need to be all snuggled up and cuddly with the lands. Use the ~20 rounds you save picking and sticking with to shoot from field positions.

Thats the info I came here for. Thank you!

Per Berger but you don't need 6 of each ;

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards)

Case volume to bullet jump coralation has been my focus and have done this for decades. With @QuietTexan post 4 made me believe I'm not the only one off my rocker. Glad too see someone else thinks like me good or bad;)! If you shoot only 1 specific bullet you might have it made when it comes too long throating?

For your consideration:

Emphasis on @Mikecr responses 😉

The Berger 130s shoot extremely well out of my Rem783 seated to mag. depth which ends up being .030" off. Used H4350 and the accuracy load from the Sierra mobile App. FWIW, the data in Sierra's App has proven spot on in several of my rifles which has enabled me to conserve components.

I have some 130gr .277 Berger VLD Hunting bullets that I'm going to work up a load for my Savage .270 Win with. Berger suggests that you seat the bullets off the lands a few thou. This is my first time loading Bergers, so should I load my ladder test rounds touching the lands and mess with seating depth later, or should I load them all, say, .004 off the lands to start with and refine seating depth later?
After my load development experience at various searing depths, I now shoot 130 grain Berger Classic Hunter VLD Hybrids in my .270 Win set .015" off the lands with outstanding accuracy. The load is 58.5 grains of H4831SC. From the bench, my 5-shot groups average .269"…holes touching. I also practice a lot at the range. My longest deer shot was 568 yards with the aid of a back pack rest and Gunwerks BR2 ballistic range finder. The rifle is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline restocked to a custom wood stock fitted to me. Hope the information is helpful.

I have very good luck at .010" off the lands in a 270 Win and a 270 WSM.