Load Development Ruger Precision Rifle .243

It seems neck sizing only is becoming a thing of the past. I just ordered some Redding full length/neck sizing dies. I am curious how much change I will see?

With neck sizing only, my Lapua brass lasted about 9-10 shots. I just had to retire about 90 cases. They were starting to separate.

In theory your brass will not last as long and you will need to trim more frequently. The reason being of course that more of the brass will end up becoming worked more fully than neck sizing alone where the bulk of the brass is already fire formed to the chamber. Lot of variables are going to affect that not the least of which is the caliber, chamber spec, the quality of the brass, frequency of annealing and how hot the load is.

In theory your brass will not last as long and you will need to trim more frequently. The reason being of course that more of the brass will end up becoming worked more fully than neck sizing alone where the bulk of the brass is already fire formed to the chamber. Lot of variables are going to affect that not the least of which is the caliber, chamber spec, the quality of the brass, frequency of annealing and how hot the load is.

I have heard multiple times that at the national shoots it's fulllength in conjunction with neck sizing only?

What's your take on that?

I have heard multiple times that at the national shoots it's fulllength in conjunction with neck sizing only?

What's your take on that?

Some are doing it that way. I think consistent neck tension is a key element in low SD numbers which translates to less vertical but everyone seems to have their own special sauce. I think I heard that Bryan Litz won his first F Class national match with new unfired brass. I'm going to be shooting a 284 at the Southwest Nationals in Phoenix a couple of weeks and all my brass is full length sized. Mainly because it's a tight chamber and I've had trouble with neck sizing only in that rifle. Need to bump the shoulder back a couple thousands. Never had that issue with any other rifle and most of those I only neck size. Primarily because I'm lazy and don't like cleaning the brass after it's been lubed but also I've convinced myself that the argument for fewer moving pieces upon pulling the trigger is ligit. But I'm not a top US shooter. Still working out what special sauce works for me.

Some are doing it that way. I think consistent neck tension is a key element in low SD numbers which translates to less vertical but everyone seems to have their own special sauce. I think I heard that Bryan Litz won his first F Class national match with new unfired brass. I'm going to be shooting a 284 at the Southwest Nationals in Phoenix a couple of weeks and all my brass is full length sized. Mainly because it's a tight chamber and I've had trouble with neck sizing only in that rifle. Need to bump the shoulder back a couple thousands. Never had that issue with any other rifle and most of those I only neck size. Primarily because I'm lazy and don't like cleaning the brass after it's been lubed but also I've convinced myself that the argument for fewer moving pieces upon pulling the trigger is ligit. But I'm not a top US shooter. Still working out what special sauce works for me.

Show them how it's done. Good luck.

Did you see that new Fclass 7mm bullet from Berger?

You hear a lot about doughnuts inside the case neck. I wanted to check the Lapua Brass that I just retired. I happen to have a reamer for the 7mag and .243 but I never bothered to use them.

The .243 lapua brass all had doughnuts in them. They all were cleaned up some. I had some once fired only brass and even those had a very small donut build up. Interesting.

With the 7 Mag Brass, there were no donuts. This brass was Winchester and was retired brass also probably 7-8 shots ish. I keep it around to practice getting the annealing correct.

IMG_3776.JPG
You hear a lot about doughnuts inside the case neck. I wanted to check the Lapua Brass that I just retired. I happen to have a reamer for the 7mag and .243 but I never bothered to use them.

The .243 lapua brass all had doughnuts in them. They all were cleaned up some. I had some once fired only brass and even those had a very small donut build up. Interesting.

With the 7 Mag Brass, there were no donuts. This brass was Winchester and was retired brass also probably 7-8 shots ish. I keep it around to practice getting the annealing correct.

If you have been following development of the RPR .243, we performed annealing testing and also brass life testing. You can check it out here:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...s-torch-head-annealer-vs-2nd-3rd-shot.199362/

We are getting close to the end of the barrel life with this gun. We are at 1300 rounds so far. I will probably get a replacement barrel coming for it soon.

I just annealed all my 243 brass this last week. The difference between Lapua and Hornady brass are amazing. The Lapua brass does not come up to temp nearly as rapidly and I need to slow the annealier down to get the temps.

I just annealed all my 243 brass this last week. The difference between Lapua and Hornady brass are amazing. The Lapua brass does not come up to temp nearly as rapidly and I need to slow the annealier down to get the temps.

With the Amp Annealer, Lapua has a setting of 93 and hornady 62. It looks like Norma was a higher setting also.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.