Load Development Questions.

samson

I have been trying to develop a good load for my 300 win mag. This is the most frustrating process ive dealt with. Do I start with picking a powder charge and ignore seating depth. Do I pick a bullet first. Do I try 10 differnt bullets and pick the best one. This process seems to be very long and frustrating.
What process do you guys follow when starting out. Any advice will help.

Samson, Boy I love to talk reloading, I'd first figure out what kind of shooting your going to be doing ie; deer, elk, speedgoats, LR, etc. I'd go with something like 180gr or above with the 300winnie, and try some H1000 or H4831sc, Retumbo should work great with the 190-200gr bullet. As far as bullets go, you can't go wrong Sierra 190gr or 200grain MK or 180gr SST, 190gr BTSP Hornady, the latter as grouped very well out of my '06'. As far as seating depth, you can start by seating them .005-.010" off the lands and work down from there to see any accuracy gains. That kinda stuff isn't near as important as holding the rifle still.
grin.gif
. If you noticed some of the threads here you've seen where a Hornady bullet prefers to be seated closer to the lands, and Sierra seems to be much less fussy, I can concur with that. Something to keep in mind. Jay
cool.gif
Good Luck!

samson...I would start with the 'ol reliable MatchKing!!
You are trying to feel out what the rifle likes, and practice shooting the thing to get consistant. Right???
My Sako 300WM loves 150gr. MK's with 75-76gr. of Rl22...load BELOW that to start!!!
180gr. MK's w/ RL25 about 80gr. and Win primers, same deal, load below!!
These bullets will allow you to get good groups, and get confidence, and instant gratifacation!!
Match Kings, are just super....Hunting bullets, are anougher story for my Winnie..
Likes the Pro Hunter, 180gr. hates SST's, Scirocco's are not real consitant...
Basically, try loading the MK's first, they WILL shoot in your rifle....guaranteed!!!
wink.gif

And remember, its a journey, Relax...have fun..I know that you will report succses w/ Sierra's...I just loaded some 150gr. MK's to take out tomrrow....sakofan....
grin.gif

Samson:
No Crimping necessary. This is what I do to work up a load from scratch:
1) Start by arbitrarily selecting a bullet that fills your general needs as Gorski has advised. Arbritrarily select the type of powder your would like to work up & arbitrarily select a primer & Case.
2) I start with at least 200 identical cases (manufacture, # of times fired, ect). I then size and trim them all to uniformity in an attempt to eliminate one variable.
4) I prime 100 of the cases with the same primer, thereby eliminating a second variable.
3) I then review published load data. You will find most all published data will provide you a minimum charge and maximum charge for your cartridge, bullet weight & primer. I start with a charge at approx 1/3 of the way between min & max. & charge 50 of your primed, sized cases with the same charge, thereby eliminating a third variable.
3) I then seat seven separate strings of five cartridges varying the overall cartridge length. Maximum length should be approx. 0.020" off lands. You might want to purchase a Stoney Point Gage to accurately know this dimension. (Keep in mind that sometimes a rifle will chamber a cartridge that is too long for your magazine. If so, you have a decision whether or not you like a single shot rifle or not?)I very the depth by shortening each string by a fixed amount such as 0.005" per string.
4) You then have 35 loaded cartridges. The remaining 15 cases I load as 'Foulers' and I am not concerned with uniformity of these foulers as they are not recorded at the range anyway.
5) Next I load up my goodies and head to the range. I shoot 3 foulers then the first string of 5, clean the gun, shoot 2 foulers and the second string of 5, ect.
6) I pick the OAL and with the best five shot grouping (optimal) then repeat the loading process verying charge, working my way up from minimum to maximum.
7) After I have found the optimal OAL & charge, I very the primer types.
8) I then make suttle changes to each to fine tune the load.

Obviousely the trick is to keep all but one variable constant in an effort to find the optimal. Its a long process, but it gives you plenty of chances to shoot which is ultimately the goal.

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I have my fun(I mean work) cut out for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.