Load development problem

ripzip

Ok here is my issue. Started load development with a new 6.5 PRC custom rifle. I picked up some Berger 153's . Called Berger to get the load data and they gave me 57 to 63.3 gr of Retumbo. Started the load development with the Bergers . Found a promising 3 round load at 61.5 3173 fps. Problem is I ran out of Retumbo.
Just so happens I also received some Reloder 26. After working on a load with it, I was able to get 3126 with 59gr. My problem is that I do not have any Retumbo to start a seating test, of the two I think it might be the better of the two powders for my rifle. Should I just keep looking for the Retumbo or go ahead with the Reloder 26? Your advice would be great.

Work with what's available. And be prepared to run out of 26 also. There's not a lot of powders that come available consistently
This. I have picked up some new powders in substantial amount to develop new loads with because that is what was available.

Or hunt for your preferred powder like a crazy man and pay whatever price you find it at?

I don't see where you mentioned accuracy or MV deviation...what did the RE26 do? I certainly would keep chasing Retumbo for 50 fps more velocity.

Well yesterday did some seating depth testing using RE26. Must have mixed up my notes as I was using 58.5gr and had some pressure signs, flattened primers and stiff bolt lift. Went ahead and did the 24 round string. MV average MV of 3157, ES 31, SD 8. I am going to drop down to 58 gr. As with the 3 round test the ES and SD were better at 3128. Looks like the seating depth is going to be somewhere between 35 and 50 thousandths. Going to start the 3 thousandths working from 35 to 50. Should I do 6 round strings again? or just do 3 shots and see what I find? Trying not to use up all my powder and primers before I come up with a load.

How/why did you arrive at 58gr?

Group size, ES/SD, etc? I use ES/SD as a guide but mainly look at what the target shows me. ES under 20 or less is probably better than I will actually realize at any range I will actually shoot an animal.

Just looking at ES 3.45 SD 2.44, but was only 3 shots. Group size looks good without any seating test. Finding that with RL26 my rifle sweet spot seems to be at 3120-3130 for all types of primers. ES/SD seem to be better right in that spot.

If they are good, I would load up same charge weight. Adjust seating depth by .003", .006", .009" from original and see if it changes anything. Then see if it repeats.

If using virgin cases, you may need to reduce going to fireformed, .3-.6 gr for same pressure. Or just reload the fireformed and see how they look. Might be slightly faster, but if not close to max in your rifle, that is win, win.

I could trade you out some retumbo if we were not across the country from each other. Do an ad for Powder trade in WA. You might get lucky.

This. I have picked up some new powders in substantial amount to develop new loads with because that is what was available.

Or hunt for your preferred powder like a crazy man and pay whatever price you find it at?

Second this.

Buy enough powder of what you can find and go from there, one or two pounds isn't enough. Elk, deer or speed goat won't know the difference.

I now have two to three loads on all rifles I use, so if I run out of one I have a backup load.

Work with what's available. And be prepared to run out of 26 also. There's not a lot of powders that come available consistently

X3! Ramshot LRT is closed to Retumbo's burn rate, and their availability is a lot better than Retumbos. IMR 8133 is another option if you can get them.

Give the RL26 a go and see ...

Recent Posts