Load development help

bigbulls

I know all the concepts like COAL and I have figured out the OAL to the lands for the 2 different bullets I want to try in my rifle. I read the ladder test to get to max powder charge and the seating depth test as far as starting at lands and working back to find the best oal. My question is do I find the oal first that my gun likes using a low powder charge? or do I find the powder charge I and my gun likes and then the oal? or do you guys try do do both at the same time. Thanks for the help.

BB, if available, try the two or three most popular powders for your caliber and then play with the seating depth. Since it is rare two identical rifles like the same exact load a variance of a good proven load my be your load. You don't mention make, caliber and barrel length which would help members help you further. I assume by your handle you hunt elk. Good luck

Christensen Arms Summit, 26 Nosler, 26" barrel, and 140gr accubond and 140gr VLD
bigbulls,
You want to find your seating depth "sweet spot" first then the velocity sweet spot. On our website under the INFORMATION TAB on the main page click on "tech info' and read Eric's article "VLDS making them shoot" Always do your seating depth testing at the LOWEST powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Then work your load back up in 1/2 grain increments until you get to 2 GRAINS BELOW MAXIMUM then reduce to 1/10th grain increments. All the while you will be checking your accuracy and for pressure signs. If you need some load information contact us at [email protected]. Hope this helps!

bigbulls,
You want to find your seating depth "sweet spot" first then the velocity sweet spot. On our website under the INFORMATION TAB on the main page click on "tech info' and read Eric's article "VLDS making them shoot" Always do your seating depth testing at the LOWEST powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Then work your load back up in 1/2 grain increments until you get to 2 GRAINS BELOW MAXIMUM then reduce to 1/10th grain increments. All the while you will be checking your accuracy and for pressure signs. If you need some load information contact us at [email protected]. Hope this helps!

Thats a lot of shooting! Sell them bullets!! ha ha just teasing, couldn't help myself.

you got the coal & oal down, then look at the cbto to get the best fit distance off the lands , not all bullets are the same in length , C.B.T.O.for the sweet spot , Consistency . Consistency.

bigbulls,

Why stop "2 GRAINS BELOW MAXIMUM"?

Seating at low pressure, powder testing with ladder, group shooting/powder tweaking from identified with ladder, final seating tweaking to shape grouping.
If the results here are not good enough due to flyers, and I know there is no issue with the gun/scope, I would go after best primer striking/adjustment as seen with 3sht grouping.

bigbulls,

Phil,
I ended up finding my sweet spot powder charge first on Sunday before I seen your post. My sweet spot ended up being 89.5 grains of USA 869, ( big thanks to jfseaman/Fred and his Quick load program) I went all the way up to 90.4 and still didn't have any pressure signs but the grouping went crazy. I shot the ladder at 2.80" ogive which was .020" off the lands in my gun. Today I shot 89.5 grains at .020" off lands at 200 yards and shot a 3 shot group of .72". Do you think I should try and tweak the seating depth anymore? or just verify this with some more 5 shot groups? If you think tweak which way would you go? .10" .25" .30" ? or all of the them?

Last edited:
Phil,
I ended up finding my sweet spot powder charge first on Sunday before I seen your post. My sweet spot ended up being 89.5 grains of USA 869, ( big thanks to jfseaman/Fred and his Quick load program) I went all the way up to 91.3 and still didn't have any pressure signs but the grouping went crazy. I shot the ladder at 2.80" ogive which was .020" off the lands in my gun. Today I shot 89.5 grains at .020" off lands at 200 yards and shot a 3 shot group of .72". Do you think I should try and tweak the seating depth anymore? or just verify this with some more 5 shot groups? If you think tweak which way would you go? .10" .25" .30" ? or all of the them?
bigbulls,
Looks like you either have it figured out or are very close. Wouldn't suggest that big of moves. Try .005 to either side. .720 is pretty good at 200 yards. Any chronograph numbers? Particularly SD and velocity(s).

Phil,
I didn't chronograph today cause I have the MagnetoSpeed V3 Ballistic Chronograph that goes on the barrel and I wanted the best accuracy I could get. I don't think the magnet changes anything but wanted to be sure. Sunday the 89.5 grains gave me 3352 fps and that was consistent with the other loads. I have my own shooting range out to 250 yard so in the next week or so I will get you a 5 shot group SD and velocity.

Chronograph on Sundays powder test 6 min. between each rounds. 140gr VLD hunting
88.3grs= 3264
88.6grs= 3293
88.9grs= 3342
89.2grs= 3323?
89.5grs= 3352
89.8grs= 3382
90.1grs= 3338?
90.4grs= 3410

Last edited:
Phil,
I didn't chronograph today cause I have the MagnetoSpeed V3 Ballistic Chronograph that goes on the barrel and I wanted the best accuracy I could get. I don't think the magnet changes anything but wanted to be sure. Sunday the 89.5 grains gave me 3352 fps and that was consistent with the other loads. I have my own shooting range out to 250 yard so in the next week or so I will get you a 5 shot group SD and velocity.

Chronograph on Sundays powder test 6 min. between each rounds. 140gr VLD hunting
88.3grs= 3264
88.6grs= 3293
88.9grs= 3342
89.2grs= 3323?
89.5grs= 3352
89.8grs= 3382
90.1grs= 3338?
90.4grs= 3410
Bigbulls,
Use the Magneto speed when you test next. The accuracy thing with that unit is hit and miss ( no pun intended) at worst it should only change your point of impact only. If you can. get the barreled fouled like we talked about and shoot a 5 shot group at each load so we can get some good data to get you going.

Phil,
How will my terminal performance be with this bullet(140gr vld) say at 50-150 yards? with fps at muzzle being 3350

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.