load development frustrations

Loose scope mounts can make a gun do funny things. I wouldn't be surprised if that was your problem. Good Luck

Freebird
Another questron to ask is do you have a Brake on your gun? One of my shooting partners had a 300 RUM a couple of years ago and it had to be the most unpleasant gun to shoot of the bench ever!! Kicked like a rented mule!!

Do you enjoy shooting it ? is it comfortable? that would be one of mty concerns!

He could't get his to shoot either but i was mostly him ,because he hated shooting it!

Agan just my 2 cents
SB

Yes my gun has a brake on it. Back in 2000 I had jaw surgery and ever since then my jaws are very sensitive to heavy recoil guns. I am going out shooting tomorrow morning and am going to try a few things different and will post my findings, so everyone keep your fingers and toes crossed that I figured out my problem. Thanks again for all the support everyone has given me.
Sure is nice to have friends even if we have never met face to face.

PS; Its funny that you talk about recoil, took my son inlaw out shooting a couple weeks ago, I made him a deal, if he passed his hunters safety I would buys his license and deer tag, so I took him out, I shot my gun first while he spotted, after a couple shots I noticed every time I went to shoot he would get up from the chair next to me and run around to the other side of the truck, he didn't like the muzzle blast from the brake, it was too funny. He likes shooting my wifes 300 SAUM more then my 300RUM, her's does not kick as bad and is not as heavy or have a bad recoil.

Well I did go out for a little bit yesterday morning, my shooting was ok. The things I did different, I had a rest mounted on my small bench, I took it off and just used my bipod and a sleeping bag. I could not seem to hold steady and was shaky. Also just west of me was a big range fire burning towards me, so lots of smoke in the air and fire retardent. I was shooting 208gr A-Max bullets. Of course I had to sight it back in after taking the scope off. I am please with the results, but did not shoot all the loads I took cause it got to where I was having a hard time breathing with all the smoke in the air. I think I am on the right path now. Am going to go back out and finish up my shooting maybe this Saturday morning??? Thanks again for all the advice, it has helped me. I did put some medium strength lock tight on the screws of the scope rings.

My opinion and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee in most places but as for the 300RUM....I think it's a ***!!

Sorry but just because you cannot shoot it does not make it a ***. I have owned one from the factory and now have an improved version built on a BAT that drives tacks as they say but then all of my rifles do.

The RUM will do what you ask of it but it is hard to manage on the rest because of recoil. Many times folks do not like the large capacity cases because they are not able to control them BUT they will do what you ask if you have the skills.

Sorry but just because you cannot shoot it does not make it a ***. I have owned one from the factory and now have an improved version built on a BAT that drives tacks as they say but then all of my rifles do.

The RUM will do what you ask of it but it is hard to manage on the rest because of recoil. Many times folks do not like the large capacity cases because they are not able to control them BUT they will do what you ask if you have the skills.

Boss Hoss

Oh....so you've now got an IMPROVED VERSION on a BAT action!! Hmmmm......that's probably because the factory rifle was a ***!!

Boss Hoss

Oh....so you've now got an IMPROVED VERSION on a BAT action!! Hmmmm......that's probably because the factory rifle was a ***!!

Yes it has a S&B PMII 4-16, Krieger tube, vented HS Precision stock, Speedy's muzzle break, and a Jewell.

The factory rifle I had years ago shot pretty well actually just not good enough 2.5 inches at 300 (had barrel stress issues when the temp went up after a couple of rounds) if my memory still works. My accuracy requirements are pretty tight because once you have really accurate rifles it is impossible to go back imho.

Boss Hoss

possibly another recoil sensative person who want's to blame the gun/mfg/cartridge ?

possibly another recoil sensative person who want's to blame the gun/mfg/cartridge ?

Yeah...after 60 years of rifle shooting I've suddenly become recoil sensitive!:cool: Try shooting the 50/90 Sharps class of rifles with 720 gr. bullets and 122 grs. of powder! Like thousands and thousands of rounds fired through mine!

The mere fact that 'what's his face' did a so-called up-grade is proof enough that the first rifle wasn't doing the job!! The FACTORY REMINGTON is a *** extra-ordainaire and final proof that Remington doesn't give a rip about building a quality firearm!

There are exceptions...to this rule!!:rolleyes:

Yeah...after 60 years of rifle shooting I've suddenly become recoil sensitive!:cool: Try shooting the 50/90 Sharps class of rifles with 720 gr. bullets and 122 grs. of powder! Like thousands and thousands of rounds fired through mine!

The mere fact that 'what's his face' did a so-called up-grade is proof enough that the first rifle wasn't doing the job!! The FACTORY REMINGTON is a *** extra-ordainaire and final proof that Remington doesn't give a rip about building a quality firearm!

I have (and do) shoot bpcr, with 45/70, 45/90, and 50/140, and the recoil with black powder is much different (less) than with my "smokeless" rifles.

720 gr bullet/122 gr. powder, what on earth for ?

Now you know what happens when you Assume right? You have no clue as to what I build or why I build it so keep the depends, I mean your powder dry! Quite frankly and I know several folks at Big Green who are or were on the Leadership Team and quite frankly to build what I want due to the overhead structures and uniqueness they cannot compete in the true "custom" market. That is not to say that they do not build a good custom product given the limited number of options they are given to work with.

Making uninformed blanket statements makes you look uninformed at best and suffering from dementia at worst.

I have (and do) shoot bpcr, with 45/70, 45/90, and 50/140, and the recoil with black powder is much different (less) than with my "smokeless" rifles.

720 gr bullet/122 gr. powder, what on earth for ?

Why?? Because quite regularly it will shoot groups like onto this from 1000 yds.:

PP shoots really well!:D I have several groups that will beat this one but for some reason the 'extension' on them won't let me post them! But...I'll take a 98 from 1000!

Why can't we all get along?

Hope you get this worked out. I am having similar problems with a Douglas barreled 700 in 7mm STW. Just pulled off a new Zeiss scope as my last group was comprised of two 1 MOA groups 9 MOA apart at 100 yds.! Scopes/mounts can cause hard to diagnose problems until the get real bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.