I won't test any other powders this season. I have a late rifle whitetail season here and would like the 195 to see some action. We have two tags Nov 11-19.

I bought a Nikon 900 Cool pix to hopefully video some long range shots. It takes some decent photos at distance as well as video. I was able to zoom in on a deer around 1000 yards and could tell it had spikes so I am hopeful.

I bought a Nikon 900 Cool pix to hopefully video some long range shots. It takes some decent photos at distance as well as video. I was able to zoom in on a deer around 1000 yards and could tell it had spikes so I am hopeful.

Good luck

My season runs august 15 to Jan 1

I just finished with the fancy powder scale. A grain of Retumbo weighs .034 grains, I was able to get the weight to 68.410 as the high and 68.402 as the low. So a difference of .008 grains, that required cutting a kernel in half.

59 Degrees 5 shots in order: ES of 19 fps and SD of 6.88
Brand new jug of powder, I fired all in 2 minutes
2923 FPS
2904 FPS
2918 FPS
2916 FPS
2908 FPS

I was hoping for single digits but it just didn't happen. I would say if you can do this with the Gem Pro or other scales, there is no need for this high dollar one. I am looking forward to trying this with a powder and bullet combination that was not so touchy during the whole process.

I have a new scope coming in for this gun and will get it dialed in before my rifle deer hunt coming up.

I am still looking forward to getting some bullets down range and see how it does, just waiting for that new scope.

Attachments

• image1 (3).JPG
    image1 (3).JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 226
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 250
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 260
We have a couple things left to do for single digit extreme spreads. I will make sure the ogive measurements are exactly the same. I will sort the brass for a finer adjustment. I will check the trim length one more time. My neck tension should be good to go but we will take a look at it.

I would try a different primer also.

My new barrel should be here within the next month or so. I plan on trying rl33 and N570.

What powders did you try?

We have a couple things left to do for single digit extreme spreads. I will make sure the ogive measurements are exactly the same. I will sort the brass for a finer adjustment. I will check the trim length one more time. My neck tension should be good to go but we will take a look at it.

H4831sc had some promise but if your a speed guy it will be slower. That is the only other one.

So I just ran some numbers, this is a hunting gun for me.
At 800 yards, if I have an extreme spread of 20 FPS here is the difference with basic atmospheric conditions.

Average of 2923 FPS
2913 is a drop of 111.53"
2923 is a drop of 110.67"
2933 is a drop of 109.83"

With my current setup and hunting conditions, 1.7" difference of impact total. If you base it off of the average of 2923, you could shoot 10 FPS faster or 10 FPS slower. We will cut 1.7 inches in half which would equal an impact .85 inches from center at 800 yards high or low. Each guy or gal would have to decide what they want from their setup.

20 fps is a good extreme spread, with the right brass prep, barrel care, and choice of components, its usually not hard to get less than 20 fps. I have been able to get single digit es form 5 different loads in 4 different rifles using 4 powders. H4831sc(6.5-284), H1000(6.5-284 and 300 win mag), Retumbo (7mm RM), and RL33(7mm-375 ruger). Low es requires its own special load development.

On a deer hunt, these pics and video are close to two miles. I get excited :).

These are just me recording it with my iPhone. I will download them and look at a bigger screen.

I will have to figure out how to get short videos on here

Pretty impressive for 599$

Nikon coolpix P900

Attachments

• IMG_3168.JPG
    IMG_3168.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 211

These are just me recording it with my iPhone. I will download them and look at a bigger screen.

Nikon coolpix P900

Another pic

Attachments

• IMG_3171.JPG
    IMG_3171.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 198

Nikon coolpix P900
I've got a Nikon J1 that I've wanted to find a digiscoping adapter for to use on my Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 spotter...But the only adapter I've found is a couple hundred bucks...

https://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-...MI_ZTQ_oq61wIVUGB-Ch0b6gb7EAAYASAAEgKrpfD_BwE

Which one do you use?

I ended up having to work up a new load due to changing brass.

My old load as 63.7 gr of RL26 in PPU brass shooting 180 ELD M. Brass started to show case head separation. It also had a terrible capacity. It produced 2890ish FPS.

Went to Win brass. Final load was 68.5 of RL26 at 3015 with a SD of 3.3 and ES of 7. I pushed it to 70gr with no pressure signs but SD was in the teens. Tried retumbo again, but terrible SD and ES with same speeds. RL26 seems to be the ticket in this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.