Load Development 26 Nosler & Magnum

winmagman

A little info for the 26 nosler guys out there.

I've been working on an abbreviated barrel break in for my new 26 Nosler and had finally reached the point where I could shoot a few groups. During the shoot one and clean stage I reached 84 grs of Ramshot Magnum with the 130 gr Scirocco without any pressure signs. Since I was already 2 grs over Noslers listed max for the 129 gr Accubond I felt no need to push the envelope any further.

I started my group shooting and chronographing with 4 rounds at three charges, 81.0 grs, 81.5 grs, and 82.0 grs.

The 81.0 gr load shot velocities of 3324, 3321, 3318, 3323 out of a 26" barrel. Unfortunately the group was only 1" @ 100 yds.

The 81.5 gr load shot 3355, 3322, 3353, 3346. This group was a little better, 3/4", but still not what I expect from a custom rig. I was starting to think this powder/bullet combo may not work in this rifle.

A little despondent I figured I'd shoot the 82 gr load since I had it loaded already and they would make the twenty round total I wanted down the tube before sending it off to be melonited.

So....I let them rip, they went 3365, 3356, 3353, 3365 and into a .240 ctc group, go figure. I don't think I'll mess with that except maybe tweaking the seating depth, pretty pleased. To be honest though now I'm second guessing the idea of sending it out to be Melonited, hate to mess up a good thing.

Hope this may help some of you guys out if you're working with this round. As usual start low and work up.

Chris

With a .24 group, SD of 6.18 and and ES of 12.....

Don't change anything except to shoot it at hunting temperatures to make sure it does not change.

Don't change anything except to shoot it at hunting temperatures to make sure it does not change.

Temperature was not to far from hunting temps, 10-30 degrees higher depending on WI weather.

I'd like to load up a couple more groups and confirm this load, but I need to make a decision on Meloniting before I do. I don't want to get the wear/firecracking so advanced that it negates the benefits of treatment, if I opt to go that route.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.