Load data/info for 28 Nosler

31perersen

I bought a 28 Nosler from Christiansen, it is the Ridgeline. I guess I didn't realize the barrel was a 1 in 9 twist and Christiansen Arms recommends a 14-160 grain bullet. Does anyone shoot 195 bergers or any other heavy bullets out of this gun and can you guys provide your "pet loads", please? Or if you have this gun, what works for you so I can see what options I have for heavier bullets please? I know everything shoots different out of different rifles but it would give me a place to start... especially if you have a 1 in 9 twist barrel. Thank you.

Here is some data FWIW:

thanks for the info guys, keep them coming please. specifically hoping for guys with a 1:9 barrel twist and hopefully a 195 berger if possible, but any of the heavier bullets in a 1:9 twist please. thanks!

Bergers stability calculator is a big help. Don't think a 9 will stabilize a 195. 175 elite hunter or 180 vld might be the max. But my pet load in the 28 is adg brass, 195 berger with 79.5 of h1000 at 3.700 oal. On the mild end but it is in the .25 moa and knocks the crap out of elk.

Got my curiosity going... according to the berger stability calculator the 9 twist above 5500ft of elevation ( at 40 degrees temp) will work for the 195 at 2950fps. If you are up high enough it just might work!

I would shoot the 180 hybrid if I owned a 1:9 twist as the 195 won't do anything the 180 can't until both are at distances and marginal energies to take even game with.
Makes a very good point. At the end of the day a deer, elk or what ever you may be shooting at doesn't know the difference between the extra 15 grains.

thanks for the info guys, keep them coming please. specifically hoping for guys with a 1:9 barrel twist and hopefully a 195 berger if possible, but any of the heavier bullets in a 1:9 twist please. thanks!
I have a 9 twist and shoot the 195s very well. The 195 box actually says minimum of 9. But I'm also shooting it at 3150 so that helps with stabilization.

I have a 9 twist and shoot the 195s very well. The 195 box actually says minimum of 9. But I'm also shooting it at 3150 so that helps with stabilization.
Its kinda ironic you run your 9 twist and velocity at sea level and it gives you a SG of 1.3.
Then Berger has the 6.5 140 minimum 1-8 or faster and you put in a 3000fps at sea level it gives you a SG of 1.68.
Then you change to a 9 twist with the 6.5 140 and you get an SG of 1.33
Doesn't make alot of sense

Last edited:
I bought a 28 Nosler from Christiansen, it is the Ridgeline. I guess I didn't realize the barrel was a 1 in 9 twist and Christiansen Arms recommends a 14-160 grain bullet. Does anyone shoot 195 bergers or any other heavy bullets out of this gun and can you guys provide your "pet loads", please? Or if you have this gun, what works for you so I can see what options I have for heavier bullets please? I know everything shoots different out of different rifles but it would give me a place to start... especially if you have a 1 in 9 twist barrel. Thank you.
I shoot 195's. And it shoots them well.
Try N570 and just get off the lands and run Fed 215 primer.

81 grains N570, 175 Accubond LR .050 off the lands with fed 215 is the load I got going for my dads. It's a ridgeline. Shoots in the .3-.5s @ 3100