Load data for Speer 140 gr Gold Dot

I've tested high velocity impacts at 3000 fps 10 yards through a 2"x4" and three water jugs. Not enough penitration for quartering towards shots on Elk size game. 1"x6" and caught between the 4th and 5th jug. Plenty for broadside or neck shots. It's changed everything for my .264WM 1:9 twist. Now I need a new optic.
The 140 grain SGD will go right through a Red stag shoulder shot broadside on at 260 yards.
Quartering on Red stag at 340 yards hit on front shoulder point - penetration into stomach cavity. Didn't find the bullet but stag only ran 15 yards.
Heaps of penetration in real life.

I lifted these pics off the net because I am very interested in a 75 grain .224 Calibre just gives you an idea of the type of expansion and bullet construction from memory these were impacted at 300 yards .
Do a search on the tube 4 speer gold dot rifle bullets lots of information one bloke in particular does his impact testing at range not crazy short distances
20230117_134525.jpg

20230117_134545.jpg

Speer website describes them as personal defense bullets and designed :
  • Consistent penetration and expansion through common barriers
Wonder what the difference is in them and the Grand Slam hunting bullet.
Grand Slam is a thick jacketed cup and core flat base, the Gold Dots are bonded with a small boat tail and boron nitride coated, both are great bullets.

Swift bullets does a 130gr Scirroco II. With an advertised BC of .571. I have not shot any yet. But being 130gr with the BC of a 140gr GD. One could get more velocity out of the 6.5 130gr Swift Scirroco.
Those swift bullets are long and the GD's don't have as much bearing surface as most other 140's have (more like S. 140Spbt's). Not that much speed difference between them. 20-50 fps.

Last edited: