Load data for Speer 140 gr Gold Dot

Frenchie16

Was wanting to try Speer Gold Dot 140 gr bullets in my 264 win mag model 70 Westerner. I have some IMR 4350 and 7828 on hand. Has anyone come up with a good load using either of these powders? Speer doesn't have any data for this bullet in the 264 mag. Thanks for any help.

I don't have any experience with that cartridge, but I do have my Nosler manual handy. It shows a MAX load of 57.0gr of IMR 4350 for a velocity of 2,980 out of a 24" barrel. FYI- this is for Nosler 140/142 grain bullets, not your specific bullet.

Thanks Subzero. Based on some comparative bullets and load data from several different sites I thought I might start with 51 grain of the IMR4350 and work up from there. I have a chrono and was going to stay around 2700 fps and not push it too hard

Sounds like your on the right track. I shot the 140gr gold dot in my 6.5 creedmoor and got decent groups from what I remember. Careful with that weird tail on the bullet though, I remember having to be careful lining it up when seating the bullet.
Good luck with yours.

In my experience the Gold Dots are GREAT BONDED bullets. I use the 120 gr in my 6.5 Grendel. Be careful and DO NOT substitute a bonded bullet in place of a standard cup and core bullet or you will run into pressure quickly. It is kind of like substituting a mono bullet using cup and core data. There is more resistance in a bonded bullet than the standard cup and core bullets in my experience. Back way off a max listed cup and core load and work up SLOWLY and use a chronograph.

Also take into count your barrel length when reading velocity. Most of the data that you find for the 264 Win mag is done using 24" barrels and that just kills one. The 264 Win mag needs at least 26" of barrel to start to do it's thing. I have a 27 3/4" barrel on mine but it only has a 9 twist. I use Retumbo and 130 Accubond's and average 3350 fps with sub MOA accuracy. SMOKES DEER.

Thanks RT2506. Yes my concern was the bonded bullet. I know the old Speer Deep Curl bullets were very particular and subject to pressure. My understanding is that Gold Dots with the boattail are a little more forgiving. My old Model 70 has the 26 inch barrel and still shoots good tight groups. I plan on starting real light and working up. Thanks very much for your knowledge. This forum is amazing with the knowledge it contains.

Thanks RT2506. Yes my concern was the bonded bullet. I know the old Speer Deep Curl bullets were very particular and subject to pressure. My understanding is that Gold Dots with the boattail are a little more forgiving. My old Model 70 has the 26 inch barrel and still shoots good tight groups. I plan on starting real light and working up. Thanks very much for your knowledge. This forum is amazing with the knowledge it contains.
I certainly would like to know your findings on the Gold Dot load. My .264 WM is a 22" Sporter barrel, scope and all weighing 7lbs. total so recoil is not my friend. I had it custom loaded but they didn't give me any details on powder, grains and velocity. I believe it was around 3000 fps and it stabilized just fine in a 1:9 twist not to mention high velocity impacts through a 1"x6" and (4) water jugs it held together being bonded.

I certainly would like to know your findings on the Gold Dot load. My .264 WM is a 22" Sporter barrel, scope and all weighing 7lbs. total so recoil is not my friend. I had it custom loaded but they didn't give me any details on powder, grains and velocity. I believe it was around 3000 fps and it stabilized just fine in a 1:9 twist not to mention high velocity impacts through a 1"x6" and (4) water jugs it held together being bonded.
These are max, so start at 10% less for safety.

Attachments

• 20230102_234141.jpg
    20230102_234141.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 92
I tried the 140 GD in a few 6.5 Creedmoor's. I was rather surprised how accurate they were. I have yet to take any game with one.

I had cleaned the rifle. The first 3 shot group went .302 with a clean/cold bore. Made a scope adjustment and shot the second 3 shot group that's in the black circle .024 .

I was impressed to say the least.

Attachments

• CC144EB7-B492-4724-AAEF-FBC72D2556F5.jpeg
    CC144EB7-B492-4724-AAEF-FBC72D2556F5.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 136
  • C9CE5165-2613-4A11-B69A-532F2C5FF291.jpeg
    C9CE5165-2613-4A11-B69A-532F2C5FF291.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
I tried the 140 GD in a few 6.5 Creedmoor's. I was rather surprised how accurate they were. I have yet to take any game with one.

I had cleaned the rifle. The first 3 shot group went .302 with a clean/cold bore. Made a scope adjustment and shot the second 3 shot group that's in the black circle .024 .

I was impressed to say the least.
Very nice rifle mate

I didn't know they made Gold Dot bullets for rifle, I'm only familiar with the pistol bullets. What is weird about the base? The slight/short taper looks like it would aid in getting bullet started into neck.

I didn't know they made Gold Dot bullets for rifle, I'm only familiar with the pistol bullets. What is weird about the base? The slight/short taper looks like it would aid in getting bullet started into neck.
Its not exactly a smooth boattail like you're probably used to. Its sort of a slight step or a small shoulder might be a good description. Never had any problems seating but I've always been careful starting them.

I have some 115gr for 27cal (6.8spc2 mainly). They are good bullets!