Load Data for a 30 378

Jerry McK

I'm new to this board and kinda stuck looking for some info. Just picked up a 30 378 and need some loading data. I have the hornady 5th edition books but no data on a 165 grian SST

I'm new to this board and kinda stuck looking for some info. Just picked up a 30 378 and need some loading data. I have the hornady 5th edition books but no data on a 165 grian SST

Do you feel snubbed for not getting answeres? To pick a good load you need to know at what seating depth a particular bullet is near the lands of yuur chamber. You also need to know what cartridge overall length your magazine will handle. You didn't even mention the barrel length or the model rifle. Weatherby MKV? SAKO TRG-S? ???

Computer programs like Quickload can give you answers, but you need to give the program good information first. For that you need to have your rifle and a sample bullet in hand and make some measurements.

Powders like VVN570, H870 or Retumbo should safely give velocities over 3300 fps with that bullet from a 26" barrel. It can easily get heigher velocities by allowing some jump to the lands, but pushing pressure in the 30-378 mostly results in rapidly diminishing barrel life. I wouldn't suggest specific loads without more details about your rifle and it's throat. I hand load for my 30-378 for my TRG-S but I've never used the 165 grain SST. That's not to say it isn't a good choice. You didn't mention your application.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts