load data for 6.5x284

Sealesniper

I have been shooting my 6.5x284 with OK success with 140 gr VLD and Amax and H4350. I have decided to try out some of the new Hammer Hunting bullets in 124gr. Does anyone have any expereince with these or similar weight bullets in the 6.5x284? What powder, primer??

I have read about good success with RL17 and Retumbo. Any thoughts or data would be greatly apprecaited.

Roger

I have a 6.5x284 built by Gunwerks. I lover the gun. It shoots .25 Moa, if I do my part and stay off the redbull. So what I am getting at is. The load they developed for it with 140 vld is using Retumbo and Lapua brass. I have not pulled one and weighed a charge. But can if you would like.

I shot the 120gn Ballistic Tip's back in 2010 for Ga. whitetails and got suberb velocity and incredible accuracy. I have since gone on to heavier bullets but this may get you what you're looking for.
The load was, of course 120gn NBT's, 58.5gn of RL25 with BR2 primers. My OAL, at .010" off, was 2.5490". Not sure what the max load is for this powder/bullet combo but I worked up to this and it was safe in the barrel I was using.
Velocity in the 26" barrel was 3225fps and accuracy was .34". 59.0gn ran 3270fps and accuracy was .380" but I settled on 58.5gn as it proved better with more testing.
Good luck and happy shooting. Hope it works for you. johnnyk.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. I appreciate the responses and welcome more.

I shot the 120gn Ballistic Tip's back in 2010 for Ga. whitetails and got suberb velocity and icrendible accuracy. I have since gone on to heavier bullets but this may get you what you're looking for.
The load was, of course 120gn NBT's, 58.5gn of RL25 with BR2 primers. My OAL, at .010" off, was 2.5490". Not sure what the max load is for this powder/bullet combo but I worked up to this and it was safe in the barrel I was using.
Velocity in the 26" barrel was 3225fps and accuracy was .34". 59.0gn ran 3270fps and accuracy was .380" but I settled on 58.5gn as it proved better with more testing.
Good luck and happy shooting. Hope it works for you. johnnyk.

The 6.5x284's that i have worked on have shot really well with the 140 VLDs. One is using 52.0 grains of H4831 SC, Win LR primers and .030" off the lands. Another is using 58.0 grain of Retumbo(the weighed charge from a round out of that one brand), CCI BR-2 primers, and .030" off the lands (.220" 3 shot group at 100 yards). Both rifles are using Lapua brass. In my thoughts, you could start around 56-57 grains of Retumbo and work up slowly from there with the Hammer you have selected, or give the H4831 SC a try starting around 52 and up. There is also a guy on here that has some inside information about the Hammers and he is always offering really good information on his bullets. I would guess that he will read this and offer some expert advice. Good luck and keep us posted on how they do.

I talked with Sealsniper last night on the phone. I have to say that I have never worked with a 6.5-284 so I don't have personal load data on this one. Whenever I start work on a cartridge that I have not worked with before the first reference that I use is Nosler load data. IMO it is pretty optimistic data and lines up pretty well with Hammer Bullets since they have lower pressure than lead core bullet due to the PDR (Parabolic Drag Reduction) on the baring surface. After looking at the Nosler data the 1st powder that I would look at would be rl-23. A start load of 50g and work up from there looking to reach 3150fps on the top end.

I think Retumbo would work fine but think it may be a bit slow and will probably run out of case capacity before reaching pressure. Certainly don't think can go wrong with Retumbo.

The other powder that I would look at if you have any is w780. This is a great powder that they should not have discontinued. Just griping a bit. Start that one at 50g and work up. Had great luck with this powder in the 6.5-06 and the 124g Hammer Hunter.

Looking forward to Sealsniper's results.

Steve

I am going to start loads with H1000 and see what I can achieve on accuracy but know velocity will be around 2900 at best. I then will try retumbo. If I can get accuracy and velocity in the 3100 range I will play with searing depth to get best accuracy and stop development. If I don't get the accuracy I want I will look at the RL22 and Rl 23. I appreciate all the reply's.

I don't think you will have any trouble getting over 2900fps with h1000 if you can get enough in the case.

Steve

Talked to a guy at the local sportsman's about his 6.5-284 since I'm in the similar boat as you. He's using RL 19 and nosler 142ABLRs and he's getting just over 3000 fps. Not sure of his capacity or if he's showing pressure signs.