Load data for 6.5 RSAUM

eshorebwhntr

Just got a new 6.5 RSAUM. Any one that knows a good load for this rifle I would be greatly appreciative for sharing your secrets. Everyone seems to be out of 140 bergers and 142 SMK's right now. I've got some backordered. In the meantime I've got some 130 Accubonds and 129 SST's coming.

Thanks in advance.

would it be safe to use 7mm SAUM load data for the same bullet weight for a starting point? (obviously starting well under maximum and working up)

I think I recall Jim see is building one for a forum member in alaska. Maybe he can help you out?

I don't know about those SST's for hunting. "My opinion" is to stick with a bonded bullet, accubond or scirroco. I recently purchased a box of 130 scirroco's and was very impressed with the uniform bearing surface measurements I obtained.

you're going to have to interpolate. By way of comparison, I glanced at the 140gr bullets on 260rem data vs 7mm-08rem in my nosler manual.

imr 4350: 260 - 39-43gr, 7mm-08 - 42-46gr

rl19: 260 - 41-45gr, 7mm-08 - 45-49gr.

this tells me the starting load for the 7mm-08 is already max for 260. Same scenario for 6.5x284 vs 284win if not worse. 7mm rem mag starting loads far exceed 6.5winmag max loads.

keep in mind the 6.5 bullet will have a longer bearing surface than the 7mm bullet for a given weight, so pressures will run higher for a given charge...

Last edited:
I see where your going with the -08 vs 260 comparison. Very insightful and a great point. Not really sure how this compares to the 6.5 Rem Mag. I'll have to look into it.

I'll start well below recommended loads for 7mm and work up measuring velo and watching for pressure signs.

Looking forward to trying this gun out in the next few weeks

Thanks again loaders_loft for the input...its really appreciated

don't expect to get equal velocity for a given bullet weight and equal barrel lengths, with your 6.5 cal as listed for the 7mm cal.

don't give up on the 6.5rem mag hint. looks pretty similar dimensionally, except you have a higher pressure rating, although that probably means thicker walled brass that would reduce volume....

i try to never make expectations on velocities. I just want a safe, reliable, and accurate load.

I'll be sure to check into the 6.5 Rem Mag info more as well like you recommended.

Hopefully I'll have some valuable input for the post for anyone looking for loads in the future.

ended up starting out with 4831sc. did 4 different load charges of 54.5 - 55.5 - 56.5 - 57.5 gr seated to a COAL of 2.850 and 142 SMK's. Waiting on some other bullets to ship in and scope base screws from EGW before shooting.

I've also bought some RE-22 to try next and hopefully Cabela's will get in the Berger's soon and get them shipped out to try. I'll post some accuracy results once I finally get the chance to shoot the **** gun.

Any data?
I'm really interested in what you found as I will be building a couple guns in this caliber in the next few months! Please let me know what you find.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.