Load Data for 28 Nosler

Grafs gets a lot of my business.
A hunting pard this past season had a Ryan Pierce 28N build done just in time for first season bull hunting. Tier 1 rifle without question. We were checking his zero after he arrived via plane. After confirmation all was good, we starting dumping a few rounds into steel at 750 yards. I'm on a 300 Wby shooting 180's and his 28N is throwing 195 eol. The splash on the steel was impressive and audible at 750 yards from his 28N. My 300 Wby was producing very small splashes and nothing audible to indicate hits.

I realize there's a 15grain weight difference, but the metal from my hits looked very weak. I bought a 28N after the season...

Alright fellas well i said I would come back with my info.. I don't know if I stated this before or not but the 28 Nosler is a Christensen Ridgline topped with a nightforce.. Honestly I guess it's back to the drawing board... pretty disappointed, there were no promises today. I loaded up 76gn-78.5gn of retumbo. Set up the eld-x 10 thousands off the lands.. I was only able to shoot 4 different loads, I shot up to 77.5gn and when I hit 78gn I had pressure signs (hard to lift bolt) so I stopped there. I took a picture but honestly it's so embarrassing its not worth seeing.. I really don't even have a load that's worth trying to mess with seating depth. Not even a ---- maybe load.. anyways idk what I'm going to do but I might try some of the ol faithful Bergers.. kinda stuck now. It's sad My first 7mm rem mag weatherby vanguard from like 7 years ago that I bought on sale at bi-mart for $350 would out shoot this $2k rifle any day..

Maybe you got s bad rifle from Christensen. I did, had to send it back, twice. Second time they had it for several months, partly because they could not get ammo, I finally mailed them some. Anyway they finally agreed to send me a new rifle because they just could not get that one to shoot to there guarantee. Second one was much better, after I saw that it would at least shoot to there 1" at 100 guarantee I sent it to my smith to have a real bedding job done. They also adjusted the trigger down to 1.5lb. Shot the 143 hammers to .473 moa at 200 yards this morning!! Also shot 175 eldx amazing this morning but then this afternoon that some load went to crap for some reason. I just posed my question on a new thread.

Sorry it's been forever guys. Been busy with work Andy life! Thank you all. I found some issues that happened feel like wasted time but I'm still going to definitely seat those ELD-X's further down and try that. And maybe some Berger's as well. I would like to do everything on my part that I can before I send a rifle back to the factory. When I get a chance to shoot I will update here with my conclusion.. Thank you again.

Sorry it's been forever guys. Been busy with work Andy life! Thank you all. I found some issues that happened feel like wasted time but I'm still going to definitely seat those ELD-X's further down and try that. And maybe some Berger's as well. I would like to do everything on my part that I can before I send a rifle back to the factory. When I get a chance to shoot I will update here with my conclusion.. Thank you again.

Back in the day when folks first started using Bergers to hunt with I gave them a try. I couldn't get them to shoot well. I'm not necessairly recommending them just telling you of my experience. I learned they often had to be set close to the lands so I tried that with no luck but went ahead and set them different distances from the lands and finally at about .080 if I recall they started shooting well. I can't say where your Hornady's will shot well if at all but I'd give it a go before giving up. It's kinda of one of the chores on the way down the sometimes long road to precision shooting.

Back in the day when folks first started using Bergers to hunt with I gave them a try. I couldn't get them to shoot well. I'm not necessairly recommending them just telling you of my experience. I learned they often had to be set close to the lands so I tried that with no luck but went ahead and set them different distances from the lands and finally at about .080 if I recall they started shooting well. I can't say where your Hornady's will shot well if at all but I'd give it a go before giving up. It's kinda of one of the chores on the way down the sometimes long road to precision shooting.

Yes most definitely. I'm not going to give up on this rifle or the Hornady bullets unless I literally can't work up a decent load. I say Berger just because I personally have had great success from my both of my 7 mags with Berger. Always performed well for me on paper and also in the field. Actually the only reason why I'm loading Hornady is because a buddy of mine talked me into trying them. Hornady kinda irritated me when I first bout the 28 i emailed hornady and Berger. Never heard back from hornady and Berger emailed me back the next day took my number and called me the day after that and gave me all their information they have for the 28. I respected that highly. So that's why I lean towards Berger a little bit as well. But I'm gonna give these eld's A shot!!

Yes most definitely. I'm not going to give up on this rifle or the Hornady bullets unless I literally can't work up a decent load. I say Berger just because I personally have had great success from my both of my 7 mags with Berger. Always performed well for me on paper and also in the field. Actually the only reason why I'm loading Hornady is because a buddy of mine talked me into trying them. Hornady kinda irritated me when I first bout the 28 i emailed hornady and Berger. Never heard back from hornady and Berger emailed me back the next day took my number and called me the day after that and gave me all their information they have for the 28. I respected that highly. So that's why I lean towards Berger a little bit as well. But I'm gonna give these eld's A shot!!

I guess if Hornady treated me like that I probably wouldn't try overly hard to make them work either.

It couldn't hurt to try especially since you have some already. It looks to be a little faster burning than 33 but with 162 gn bullets it might not be a bad thing and temp stability shouldn't be a serious issue.

Thanks! I'm kinda hard nosed about the eldx bullets. I've only shot a box of factory ammo through my rifle and I'm not sure how I'm going to get any better accuracy out of it. I normally shoot Barns or Berger's but these really seem to group

I have loaded either the 184 Berger F-Open Hybrid (3 rifles) or 195 Berger EOL (20 rifles) in different 28 Noslers, all with RL33.

The guys that shoot them have hunted from -25° to 115°+. Not a single sign of temp sensitivity from any of them. I have personally shot them from 22° to 116°. Never saw more than 30fps swing across 90°+ temp swing.

Also used it for .300RUMs, .300NM, and 30 Nosler. Same findings.

RL33 is not like RL22 or RL25 for sensitivity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.