Load Data for 28 Nosler

If Retumbo is what you alredy have I would sure give it a go. I wouldn't start at 78 though, maybe 76 or no more than 77 grns as Hodgdon lists 78 gn as the Max amount. I would feel my way up from there checking for signs of pressure. Retumbo worked well in my rifle as to accuracy. I was just hoping to get a little more velocity with 8133 and it had the hope of not being temp sensitive and possibly help prevent copper fowling as it is one of the new Enduron powders. But the reality was that higher velocity meant higher pressure and I got the same pressure signs at the same velocity whether it be with Retumbo or 8133 I just had to burn a couple more grains of powder with the 8133.
Just a quick edit here as I just wanted to confirm that either 8133 or Retumbo gave me very good accuracy but then again I was using a bullet that is easy to load. Had to edit again. When I say 78 was a max load that applies to 175 gn bullets as that is what you said you planned to use.

Thank you much for your info! Yes 175 gn hope get out and do some testing this weekend. Thank you again.

If RL33 was temp stable, there would not be a reason for another powder in my 28 Nosler, it is the most accurate for me.

Yes if RL-22 was temp Stable.. I could only wish on my 7mm behalf. It really likes that powder..

No problem. I would bet you will have success with your testing with the ElD and Retumbo. Good luck and come back and let us know how it goes?

For sure. I have been chomping at the bit with this one because I bought the Redding comp full length bushing die set.. definitely more than ready to see how it performs.

Alright fellas well i said I would come back with my info.. I don't know if I stated this before or not but the 28 Nosler is a Christensen Ridgline topped with a nightforce.. Honestly I guess it's back to the drawing board... pretty disappointed, there were no promises today. I loaded up 76gn-78.5gn of retumbo. Set up the eld-x 10 thousands off the lands.. I was only able to shoot 4 different loads, I shot up to 77.5gn and when I hit 78gn I had pressure signs (hard to lift bolt) so I stopped there. I took a picture but honestly it's so embarrassing its not worth seeing.. I really don't even have a load that's worth trying to mess with seating depth. Not even a **** maybe load.. anyways idk what I'm going to do but I might try some of the ol faithful Bergers.. kinda stuck now. It's sad My first 7mm rem mag weatherby vanguard from like 7 years ago that I bought on sale at bi-mart for $350 would out shoot this $2k rifle any day..

I have the CA ridgeline in 28 Nos. it wouldnt shoot the 175 Eld at all.
Shoots both the 162 Eld-m w/ R26 and the Hammer 143 w/ R33 very well.

Alright fellas well i said I would come back with my info.. I don't know if I stated this before or not but the 28 Nosler is a Christensen Ridgline topped with a nightforce.. Honestly I guess it's back to the drawing board... pretty disappointed, there were no promises today. I loaded up 76gn-78.5gn of retumbo. Set up the eld-x 10 thousands off the lands.. I was only able to shoot 4 different loads, I shot up to 77.5gn and when I hit 78gn I had pressure signs (hard to lift bolt) so I stopped there. I took a picture but honestly it's so embarrassing its not worth seeing.. I really don't even have a load that's worth trying to mess with seating depth. Not even a ---- maybe load.. anyways idk what I'm going to do but I might try some of the ol faithful Bergers.. kinda stuck now. It's sad My first 7mm rem mag weatherby vanguard from like 7 years ago that I bought on sale at bi-mart for $350 would out shoot this $2k rifle any day..

Your testing wasn't completly wasted as you know where it doens't shoot well. It could just be that .010 is not where your gun likes that particular bullet seated? Since you already tried .010 off the lands. I would load up a total of 9 rounds in 3 groups of 3 each. One group at .030 off, one at .090 off and one at .120 off the lands. You also learned that 78 grains is too much. I would back off to no more than 76.5 grains to test the 9 bullets. Find out what distance off the lands gives you the best accuracy. if it's close but not close enough test further buy making 6 more rounds in 2 groups of 3, .015 up and .015 down from the best group.

This is an Edit - you might want to also try .060 off the lands as well.

I can understand you frustration wanting to shoot a particular bullet. The rifle always wins by telling you what it wants to eat, unfortunately, not the other way around. Good luck with Bergers.

you may take it to a smith and throat it out to the bullet you wanna shoot. I think i read in another post on hear that somebody talked to Christensen and they said the set there 28's up to shot 140-160 bullets if thats the case makes no sense to me.

If you go to a different bullet I would as one other person suggest buy the 143 gn Hammer hunter. Why - cause it's easy to load, not very picky about where it's seated from the lands, it's made on a lathe so is very preciesly made, you can get higher velocities than lead bullets of the same weight, for flatter shooting and its very deadly on game up to and including elk and larger game.

The 28N is an awesome 7 chambering...But, rifles, even custom and semi custom production builds have had issues with proper throat lengths to take advantage of long, slick bullets...RL33 has also shown a lot of fouling and carbon rings causing high pressure signs if not removed in many rifles. This expressed on many threads across hunting forums. I have a APR build in 28N shoots Nosler NAB's quite well. Sadly, I'm not getting joy of the 195 Eol's.

The 28N is an awesome 7 chambering...But, rifles, even custom and semi custom production builds have had issues with proper throat lengths to take advantage of long, slick bullets...RL33 has also shown a lot of fouling and carbon rings causing high pressure signs if not removed in many rifles. This expressed on many threads across hunting forums. I have a APR build in 28N shoots Nosler NAB's quite well. Sadly, I'm not getting joy of the 195 Eol's.

RL 33 is also known to be temp sensitive. I would stick with Retumbo or go with IMR 8133. I use 8133 and it shoots well but Retumbo did too it was just slightly faster burning. 8133 is one of the newer Enduron powders.

RL 33 is also known to be temp sensitive. I would stick with Retumbo or go with IMR 8133. I use 8133 and it shoots well but Retumbo did too it was just slightly faster burning. 8133 is one of the newer Enduron powders.

Life would be sooo easier if I we could get hands on some VN570. Heard from a pard who was at Shot that the issue holding it up was transporting certificates required for haz materials, not lack of manufacturing.

Life would be sooo easier if I we could get hands on some VN570. Heard from a pard who was at Shot that the issue holding it up was transporting certificates required for haz materials, not lack of manufacturing.

I recently made a powder purchase from Grafs. Was hoping to get a Lb of 570 to try in my 28N but they didn't have any in stock either but they have most every other powder I ever heard of. For what it's worth if you buy 4lbs of powder from Grafs they only charge a 10 dollar hazmat fee. Shipping too is cheap at only 7.99 and will ship powder, primers, loaded ammo or what ever else you want in the same box.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.