Load Data for 28 Nosler

Cobus28

I know this has been covered but I can not find it. Looking to shoot 175 gr ELD-X out of my 28 Nosler.. Does anyone have any info they can pass along with a starting and stopping point. I also can't find data from Hornady either. I'm looking to shoot retumbo or H1000 preferably Retumbo.
Thank you in advance.

Yea that's what I was going to do but I thought I would throw it out there. Thanks!

I know this has been covered but I can not find it. Looking to shoot 175 gr ELD-X out of my 28 Nosler.. Does anyone have any info they can pass along with a starting and stopping point. I also can't find data from Hornady either. I'm looking to shoot retumbo or H1000 preferably Retumbo.
Thank you in advance.

I have also loaded up for 28 Nosler. Retumbo works well. I am presently using IMR 8133. It is slightly slower burning. However I am using hammer 143 gn bullets. I was going to use 175 gn ELD-X bullet as well and had even purchased a box (still unopened). But I found I could obtain much higher velocity with the 143's (which actually weigh 145 gn+). But I think the 175 eld would be a great bullet to use as well.
I've found Nosler's data might be on the Hot side for some rifles. Hodgdon also openly provides data for their products for the 28N which seems more spot on, for some rifles anyway. It seems spot on for more traditional bullets but the hammer hunter bullets obtain higher velicities than traditional bullets with the same powder load. Some use RL-33 but some also have gone to other powders over concerns that RL powders may be Temp sensitive?

What I have found for my 28 Nosler, using 195 Berger and 180 Berger, RL33 is the most accurate and provides the most velocity, I have not been able to get my hands on VV N570, but what I am hearing, it is pretty much the same as RL33 with Temp stability and burns cleaner. As for load data for Hogdon powders they are pretty good for locating starting points for same weight bullets.

Why do you prefer Retumbo, H1000 is a great powder.

H1000 is a great powder. I have a lot of retumbo. Seems I always was able to get retumbo to shoot tighter groups than H1000.. That's what I noticed for myself.

I have also loaded up for 28 Nosler. Retumbo works well. I am presently using IMR 8133. It is slightly slower burning. However I am using hammer 143 gn bullets. I was going to use 175 gn ELD-X bullet as well and had even purchased a box (still unopened). But I found I could obtain much higher velocity with the 143's (which actually weigh 145 gn+). But I think the 175 eld would be a great bullet to use as well.
I've found Nosler's data might be on the Hot side for some rifles. Hodgdon also openly provides data for their products for the 28N which seems more spot on, for some rifles anyway. It seems spot on for more traditional bullets but the hammer hunter bullets obtain higher velicities than traditional bullets with the same powder load. Some use RL-33 but some also have gone to other powders over concerns that RL powders may be Temp sensitive?

When I first bought the rifle I emailed Hornady, Barnes, and Berger about load data. The only company to get back to me was Berger. And the gentleman from berger called me on the spot the time I told them they could call and he gave me everything. Now of course I wanted to try the ELD-X I have watched this bullet perform on elk and they do darn good. As for powder I used to use RL-22 back when I first started reloading for my 7mm's. Shot great groups but I didn't like the temp swings..

What I have found for my 28 Nosler, using 195 Berger and 180 Berger, RL33 is the most accurate and provides the most velocity, I have not been able to get my hands on VV N570, but what I am hearing, it is pretty much the same as RL33 with Temp stability and burns cleaner. As for load data for Hogdon powders they are pretty good for locating starting points for same weight bullets.

Thank you I always forget about the Hodgen website!

If Retumbo is what you alredy have I would sure give it a go. I wouldn't start at 78 though, maybe 76 or no more than 77 grns as Hodgdon lists 78 gn as the Max amount. I would feel my way up from there checking for signs of pressure. Retumbo worked well in my rifle as to accuracy. I was just hoping to get a little more velocity with 8133 and it had the hope of not being temp sensitive and possibly help prevent copper fowling as it is one of the new Enduron powders. But the reality was that higher velocity meant higher pressure and I got the same pressure signs at the same velocity whether it be with Retumbo or 8133 I just had to burn a couple more grains of powder with the 8133.
Just a quick edit here as I just wanted to confirm that either 8133 or Retumbo gave me very good accuracy but then again I was using a bullet that is easy to load. Had to edit again. When I say 78 was a max load that applies to 175 gn bullets as that is what you said you planned to use.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.