Load data for 10mm

I fear that the Sig V Crown 165 gr bullet will be like all the other 165's I've tried - designed to work at 40 Short & Weak velocities but they simply come apart at 10mm velocities. I've had the same happen with some 180 gr bullets as well, even some that are bonded! I believe the same is probably true of the Gold Dots but then, since Speer has decided to poop all over us reloaders, I may never find out! I won't buy their ammo because, like a lot of factory stuff these days, it's velocities are down right sad! I'm not sure what is going on but it seems to happening to everyone in the industry except Underwoid and Buffalo Bore. I think you could also include Double Tap and Defiant Munitions, who actually load 10mm up to real 10mm velocities, not stuff watered down to some other caliber! At this point in time I'm glad I'm a reloader because at least I can control what my velocities are... unfortunately, I have not been able to duplicate any of Underwood's velocities loading the Lehigh Xtreme Defender bullets. So I load them up as hot as I can manage while keeping pressures at a semi-reasonable level but I carry the factory loaded ammo. Now if I were a rich man I'd get.... well, forget that, I'm far from rich so no use dreaming! Like most of us, I just do what I can with what I've got!
Cheers,
crkckr
I tried to load some 40 S&W with the Sig 165 gr V Crown and saw on the box for 10 mm.So I stuck a bullet into a case just to see and you would have to seat the bullet way to far into the case to use it in a 40 S&W.No room for powder.The cannular would be way way over half way down the case.
It became obvious the 165 gr Sig V Crown was made just for the 10 mm.The 40 S&W will get a 150 gr Sierra JHP.

Hmm, good info, rooster, thanks. I may have to try to get some for testing. I've actually heard some good things about the Sig bullets but haven't seen any for sale. I'll check with Midway today, one never knows! Since Speer has pooped on all of us reloaders, I've been looking for a replacement bullet. The Hornady 155 XTP worked great when it comes to expansion but penetration was terrible. Best of all it didn't seperate the jacket and core , which has been a problem with my (older) stock of .45 and 9mm bullets. I've got some 180's to test, the Berry Hybrid and the 180 XTP loaded and ready to test, I just need to get my old lazy butt out there and do it! I have so many things I should be doing, it takes up a lot of time deciding what I'm not going to do today!
Cheers,
crkckr

I'm using Longshot with a 165 flat nose Montana. She rips!
Tangfolio Defiant Limited Master.
I've always wondered about the Tandfolio in 10mm. I really want to get 1 since mag capacity is more than 8! I'm not a 1911 fan, because they don't like my wrist. Pics would be nice if you would please?

Hmm, good info, rooster, thanks. I may have to try to get some for testing. I've actually heard some good things about the Sig bullets but haven't seen any for sale. I'll check with Midway today, one never knows! Since Speer has pooped on all of us reloaders, I've been looking for a replacement bullet. The Hornady 155 XTP worked great when it comes to expansion but penetration was terrible. Best of all it didn't seperate the jacket and core , which has been a problem with my (older) stock of .45 and 9mm bullets. I've got some 180's to test, the Berry Hybrid and the 180 XTP loaded and ready to test, I just need to get my old lazy butt out there and do it! I have so many things I should be doing, it takes up a lot of time deciding what I'm not going to do today!
Cheers,
crkckr
I've loaded sierra 135's, 150's and 165's (v-crown), nosler 135's, hornady 155xtp and 180's (xtp, fmj) and speer 165's gdhp's. Fav's are v-crown and gdhp's. Can't go wrong with any of those.

I've had the Nosler 135's come apart in my tests so those are out. I haven't seen any 165 or 180 Gold Dot 10mm bullets for sale in close to 3 years so I've about given up on them. I also tried some Winchester Bonded 165's but again, they actually came apart at 10mm velocities! This has been an on going problem with the 10mm and is the reason so many 10mm factory loads are so watered down. The bullets are designed to work at 40 Short & Weak velocities and thus puke all over themselves when pushed up to 10mm velocities. If I'd wanted a 40 cal. that's what I would have bought!

I'm going to try out Roosters suggestion on the 165 gr. Bonded V-Crowns as I've heard good things about them but have yet to see any for sale. The search continues! The Barnes 155 X-TAC also suffers from lack of penetration (and velocity!), before someone mentions them. They should make the same bullet in 165 or even 175 gr and drive it hard to actual 10mm velocities and they might have a good bullet that both opens up and penetrates..

Actually, I carry Underwoods Extreme Defense bullets in all of my carry guns, mainly because I haven't been successful in matching their velocities (not even close, actually, although I'm getting decent velocities in my reloads). I carry these in all of my carry guns, no matter what caliber. But the cost is a bit high, especially for loaded ammo, so I'm actually searching for a back up bullet I can load that works! I'm sure there has to be a 165 gr. out there that doesn't fall apart at 10mm velocities (maybe 1300 fps or so) but so far, no luck. I'm even checking the 180 gr bullets because the 165's are so hard to get! Berry's, are you listening? A 165 designed for 10mm - not 40! I'm getting pretty picky in my old age but I like things that work as they are supposed to!
Cheers,
crkckr

I've had the Nosler 135's come apart in my tests so those are out. I haven't seen any 165 or 180 Gold Dot 10mm bullets for sale in close to 3 years so I've about given up on them. I also tried some Winchester Bonded 165's but again, they actually came apart at 10mm velocities! This has been an on going problem with the 10mm and is the reason so many 10mm factory loads are so watered down. The bullets are designed to work at 40 Short & Weak velocities and thus puke all over themselves when pushed up to 10mm velocities. If I'd wanted a 40 cal. that's what I would have bought!

I'm going to try out Roosters suggestion on the 165 gr. Bonded V-Crowns as I've heard good things about them but have yet to see any for sale. The search continues! The Barnes 155 X-TAC also suffers from lack of penetration (and velocity!), before someone mentions them. They should make the same bullet in 165 or even 175 gr and drive it hard to actual 10mm velocities and they might have a good bullet that both opens up and penetrates..

Actually, I carry Underwoods Extreme Defense bullets in all of my carry guns, mainly because I haven't been successful in matching their velocities (not even close, actually, although I'm getting decent velocities in my reloads). I carry these in all of my carry guns, no matter what caliber. But the cost is a bit high, especially for loaded ammo, so I'm actually searching for a back up bullet I can load that works! I'm sure there has to be a 165 gr. out there that doesn't fall apart at 10mm velocities (maybe 1300 fps or so) but so far, no luck. I'm even checking the 180 gr bullets because the 165's are so hard to get! Berry's, are you listening? A 165 designed for 10mm - not 40! I'm getting pretty picky in my old age but I like things that work as they are supposed to!
Cheers,
crkckr
crkckr I sacrificed 1 bullet for testing.
I put it on a vice and hit it with a hammer real hard and it took it well.It smashed but didn't come apart.I kept hitting it until it became flat which was a long time and a much bigger hammer.I was impressed.

I don't need primers but haven't seen any in about 2 months here. Scheels in Billings I've seen but mostly small rifle and large pistol.
I just bought a Glock 40 for an upcoming trip to Idaho. My LGS didn't have any of the powders or bullets that I was looking for but did have several thousand Winchester large pistol primers. I initially bought 300, after looking around online while searching for powder, no one had any large pistol. So, I went back to my LGS and bought a thousand. I had to wipe a tear from my eye when I paid for them though, almost $100 before taxes.