Liver and onions

Tidus56

Spent this morning eating mule deer liver with my grandpa. Whenever I kill a deer he is always first in line for heart and liver. We will be eating the heart tomorrow!
DE718B2B-51D2-4BC9-A783-356941ACC9B2.jpeg

I love hearts, but I struggle with liver. Looks really good. Maybe I'm messing up on the prep or the cooking? I really want to like liver but it's just not working out. Any tips?

Tasty and nutritious!!! I talked to an older timer and he said liver and onions was a bimonthly strategy when he was young.. Good source of copper,iron and zinc along with vitamin A and choline.

Main problem with liver is overcooking="liver taste" we hated as kids
  1. Soak in salt water or milk for 24 hours
  2. Slice 1/4" thick or so. Thicker and the outside will be overcooked
  3. Grill (our favorite) or fry until the center is still pink; think fine steak, rare-medium rare
  4. Fry your onions with celery salt
  5. This is not a cook-ahead; eat it while it's hot!

Last edited:
I can't stand the taste of liver but it has so many benefits and vitamins. Now I take beef liver pills. It really does give you energy and focus. Wish I could eat liver but just the smell of it cooking makes me weak and nauseous
When I can't get fresh, I also resort to dessicated liver from Argentine beef. Good blood builder.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.