Little swordfish action

Capt RB

Went out for some daytime swordfishing yesterday. First bite was as we were setting the 2nd rod. It didn't slow down for the next 3 hours. We would land the hooked fish and while resetting get another bite. Went 4 for 6 with 3 legal fish including this 75" fish and a small pup about 25". Great weather n crew. We kept another bately legal fish due to the hook tearing out 2 gills while fighting it.

Attachments

• 20201109_125344.jpg
    20201109_125344.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
We were fishing out of Cape cod yobuck. About 100 miles south of Chatham Ma.
New2mud the swordfish is fairly easy to target from May to December off New England. The issues are very long runs which is weather dependant and finding an actual professional captain vs someone looking to cover his fuel bill with a permit. They can be quite easy or the devils spawn when it comes to the fight. This one was easy no drama. I lost a few this year that were brutally tough on the anglers after 3 and 7 hours on the line.

I charter my boat a few times a year. I don't have the capability on mine for this fishery though. This fishery is 100 miles offshore as a rule however ever few years a fish is caught close to shore up here. Florida or NC it is 4-25 miles off the beach

I charter my boat a few times a year. I don't have the capability on mine for this fishery though. This fishery is 100 miles offshore as a rule however ever few years a fish is caught close to shore up here. Florida or NC it is 4-25 miles off the beach
The difference is the distance to the deeper water.
Up north your apt to run 50 miles to reach 200' of water, in south Florida your apt to be there in 10 or 15 miles.
25 or 30 miles could mean 2000' and on nice days you could well be seeing some flats skiffs out there.
But dont be looking for me in one of them. lol

The difference is the distance to the deeper water.
Up north your apt to run 50 miles to reach 200' of water, in south Florida your apt to be there in 10 or 15 miles.
25 or 30 miles could mean 2000' and on nice days you could well be seeing some flats skiffs out there.
But dont be looking for me in one of them. lol
Off Hillsboro inlet we hooked up this winter inside if 7miles offshore. On flat days that is easy for a smaller vessel like my 23'er You still have to be aware the currents are the killer and if the wind goes against the current on a tide change you can find yourself in a dangerous situation rather quickly. This season right now we have a push of large swords being caught right now by the longliners. I know a boat had a monster on yesterday for 11hours and it beat them by chaff though on the leader. Most likely it started slashing and caught the 400# leader with it's sword. I'm going the 6/7th weather permited. Then off to my first tournament the Big Rock Marlin tournament. The crew and I are pumped we have won money every other year and last yr was a 0 dollars year so hope that trend continues!