Little advice on a few customs

matt_3479

I have been dying to get a custom rifle for some time now. I have 2 in mind I really want. I bought a night force NXS and a vortex viper PST for this builds. Figured scopes first. I am a college student so it's a little bit at a time. Before I left for school I laid out everything I wanted done and almost placed the order for my first custom. The gunsmith told me he was busy and the time wait was longer then usual. I decided to wait before placing and Lucky I did cause some unexpected bills came with school.

I have been saving again and starting to think and this is where I'd like your help. So for my first build will be a full custom 300. Win mag, stiller action, 26" brux/broughton barrel #5 contour, McMillan A3 stock bedded and a timney trigger. This will be topped off with my nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm NPR-1 reticle. I have Berger 210 vld's at home with some retumbo and a few other powders waiting to be tested. Figured I'd pick up the 215 Bergers as well. This will be my main long range/hunting rig for shots up too 1000 yards but mainly 700 or less. I have a Remington 7mm bdl at home that shoots very well especially for a factory rifle, and i wanted to take this one to the next level as well. Now I don't know if its worth it to have 2 guns so close in caliber. A custom 300 and a custom 7mm, they are capable of the same thing. Would you guys do It anyways or would you rechamber the 7mm into something else. I don't need anything bigger as I have no where to shoot past 1000 yards, especially on game so I don't know what caliber to go with if I were to change it. Do you guys have 2 custom guns so close in caliber or would you suggest something else? The 7mm would be a lighter custom, HTG stock, lighter contour barrel, something a little easier for carrying around without sacrificing superb accuracy.

I see no problem in building two guns close in caliber like that since they will have different purposes. The 7mm will still pack a punch on game and will be used as your light carry rifle (mountain rifle). The 300 win mag can serve as your set up for long range shooting (ambush set up). Sounds like you have it figured out to me.

If you are still thinking about using the 7 mag for an "all purpose" gun. A thing to do IMO would be go slightly bigger on the contour of the 300, like a #6 or fluted sendaro contour or something of the like. That will make it a more stable LR only platform. You wont want to pack it as far, but that's the whole purpose of a LR rig IMO. We dont pack them far, but they are accurate enough to make up the distance with the bullet.

One other consideration for the LR only platform would be a muzzle break. LR accuracy comes at a price, and that price is practice. Personally, I would never shoot a 300 magnum often enough to be any good with it without a brake on it. Again, assuming it is not gonna be used for an all around "walkabout" "spot and shoot" type of gun. Breaks come at a price too, and that's very excessive noise; they absolutely require hearing protection for every shot.

Just some thought from another perspective.

I struggled for quite a while with the carry vs long range rig for hunting dilemma. I have several LR rigs, both close together and far apart. Most all my hunting for the last several years is out west. In actual practice, I found long range and shorter range shots were available to me with either style hunting. I ended up with a rig that is capable of very consistent 1000 yard performance, and kills deer and antelope, my primary game, very effectively. I can still carry it without excess strain and effectively make a 100 yard off hand shot. I happened to go with the 6.5x284, but it could have just as easily been a 7mmMag, or 300. The rig runs about 10.5 pounds which ends up only being about 1-2 pounds heavier than most my carry rigs. Not much. It's a Cooper with a #6 fluted 26" custom barrel with brake. In the end with all my rifles, I have used this one exclusively because it feels perfect to me, is accurate as sin, and I shoot it well. Unfortunately, my other rigs get little use. I do agree with SBruce that getting the barrel weight right makes a big difference with the long range hits.

Yes, I do have rifles built very close caliber wisse, if you can swing it without sacrificing one or both builds; why not? :cool: this is where i'm at right now.

Stiller S/A
6.5WSM
30" AMU Contour w/brake
15.6lbs

Stiller S/A
7mm RSAUM
28" AMU Contour w/brake
?lbs

^^^those two are twins. :)

Rem 700 S/A
7.82 Lazzeroni Partiot (30 cal short mag)
26" Varmint Contour BBL + brake
11lbs

You've already got your 7-mag, so built the 300 first. That way you can take your TIME & build it the way you want it done. After having several customs built, I can offer you this advise, I wish I would not have skrimped on a couple things I differed on. As Shane said, a LR magnum caliber rifle really deserves a muzzle brake (or maybe it's the shooter who deserves it:rolleyes:). You have to practice a lot to become proficient & even a heavy weight mag can/will kick the crap out of you after a while. If I were to build a walking rifle, it probably wouldn't have a brake as quick shots are the norm rather than the exception. Think long & hard about what you want to do with this rifle, if it's LR ambush style (which is a LOT of what I do):

1- Heavy contour bbl
2- High efficiency brake
3- Comfortable stock i.e. McMillian A5- Manners T5-A etc. (I prefer vertical grips)
4- Quality low pull weight trigger (I bring this up because you mentioned Timney, I have one & hate it).
5- 20x or higher magnification optics: Your NXS is perfect here.

This adds up to a lot of weight, 13-16lbs is the norm here. I hunted exclusively with my 6.5wsm this year, at nearly 16lbs, it is VERY heavy to lug around. I only had to put on a couple miles & **** glad that was it, constantly changing grip, carry hand etc I can guarantee, there won't be ANY off hand shots with this heavy pig & 1lb Jewell trigger.

If it's a "gotta lug it around" Rifle:

1- Medium Contour bbl
2- No muzzle brake
3- Stock with different ergonomic characteristics i.e. the McM A-3
4- Maybe a 2lb or 2.5lb trigger on this rig. No 1lb'ers for me
5- Lower Magnification Optic range 15x- 17x etc Maximum to save weight

Can a light weight "walking rifle" be just as accurate as a heavy rifle? Accuracy wise, yes the RIFLE can. But it usually takes a very proficient individual to drive that light weight rifle as well, mostly due to significantly increased recoil & less stability when prone.

My point is: Can you have your cake & eat it too? Meaning, can we do both equally well? I don't think so, that is my experience. I personally cannot drive a light weight un-braked rifle as well as I can drive one of my "pigs'". I've proven it to myself several times. Maybe you can, I don't know. Just offering advise from a little bit of been there-done that.

t

As of right now i really do not want a brake. I did some shooting when i was in north dakota out too 500 yards with a 30-378 that had a brake and even though it was a dream to shoot i couldn't get over how loud that was it was unbelievable. Im not too worried about recoil unless i really start shooting the big guns. Right now i use a light weight browning 300. wsm for my long range hunting and target rig. It is all factory and the recoil has never bothered me. So i most likely will not brake either rifle. Now as for barrel contour, when i spoke with the gun smith at first he suggested a heavier contour as well figuring i wanted a purely long range rig but as this rifle will be used as both hunting and target i would rather something a little on the lighter side. Thats when he suggested the #5 for brux which is about 4.5 lbs and the #5 or 5.5 med varmint sporter from broughton which is 4.25-5.3lbs. That way im not putting on too much weight but not sacrificing too much thickness. Now if you all seriously suggest something bigger then you know i might be looking at this all wrong and will go bigger. But i really dont want the 300. mag too be overly heavy. I would like it as my main rig and for that i would like to haul it around but have enough weight that it is steady.

the reason for the 7mm is just because i love guns, more is always better and why not have a few really nice rifles. i figured make this one a little lighter in case i have to make some really long hauls. like i said my 300 wsm now is really light and i dont have much issues with stability for long range but on the other hand my 243. win is a factory 700 sps varmint with a 6.5-20x44mm vortex on it and a bipod which puts it around 11-12 lbs is my guess and i do have much better stability. i was hoping to have the 300. win mag under 15lbs which i know id be cutting it close. i was hoping for between 12-15lbs scoped. i figured it would be close to about 14 ish

Sounds like you've got a good plan, and a knowledgeable smith to help you in the decisions too. That's great. Never hurts to have two rifles that basically serve the same purpose, never know when you might need a backup.

If the 300 is going to be a walking gun for all around use, then yea the #5 is probably just right. my 6.5-284 wears a #4 Brux and I wouldn't want it to be any lighter when it comes to the LR shots. It weighs 11 lbs 2oz with scope and bipod.

We definately dont want a break on a walking rifle or any rifle that will get used for quick unexpected shots. I agree with you, they are too loud. A friend of mine is still suffering ear pain over a month & 1/2 after the fact from spotting for another friend that shoots a breaked 338. They are sweet for dedicated LR only or "ambush/sit and wait" types of hunting, but not worth a darn for stalking or still hunting IMO.

Matt,

After reading what your building, I'd go with a 6 contour and brake. 6 contour isn't going to add that much weight versus the 5 your thinking of. Good brake makes for fun shooting and helping to control rifle thru recoil, which will enable you to spot your impacts and vapor trails. There was a time I thought brakes weren't needed, but after the buying a used rifle with one (lightweight 300wm) and seeing how nice it made shooting the rifle, decided brakes are good , now have them on 3 other rifles. I wear plugs and muffs both when shooting, makes shooting a lot more fun.

I like the tought of having a lightwieght 'ish" 7mm, but cant think of why you would go for a heavy"ish 300 win. I like both, but I think that they are too close in performance.

I would drop your coin on the 7mm (probably a SAUM), leave it unbraked and have something that you can shoot very well and still hunt with. Then get a heavy .30 cal (or .338:D) and have the brake on it. It just opens more doors for you. trust me, the first time you find a good place to shoot over the 1k mark, you'll want to do it again and again.

I like the tought of having a lightwieght 'ish" 7mm, but cant think of why you would go for a heavy"ish 300 win. I like both, but I think that they are too close in performance.

I would drop your coin on the 7mm (probably a SAUM), leave it unbraked and have something that you can shoot very well and still hunt with. Then get a heavy .30 cal (or .338:D) and have the brake on it. It just opens more doors for you. trust me, the first time you find a good place to shoot over the 1k mark, you'll want to do it again and again.

The thing is though the 7mm is just off in the distance, the gun I actually want and plan to build is the 300. Win Mag which more then capable of the 1k mark. I have always loved the 300. Win mag plus I feel I don't need the brake on it which is a bonus in my mind. I might consider a removable brake incase I change my mind. Now I love the 7mm rem mag as well but the 300 is the one that will be the full custom. So I could always build the 7mm like I said, with a more hunter style stock htg a little light but still a good lr rig. Or I could completely change the caliber around and go with something else?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.