lists for silhouette shooting

Hi Troy- Basically, I'd like to try it. One question is that my appropriate rifles for the hunter class all have stocks made by myself, and I notice that stocks must be factory according to the rules. I wonder if this would apply even tho my stocks are all very conservative, classic style but with a nice piece of wood. Under the letter of the rule, as I read it, these would not be allowed.

Lots of little questions, and a desire for the insight that an active list would probably provide.

Do most contestants show up with rifles for different classes, like centerfire and rrimfire, possibly as well as handguns?

Thanks for any input that you might have.

jmbn

jmbn, start off by contacting the NRA to get a current rule book. Then contact a range to see how "formal" they are about the rules.

I used to do a lot of shooting in Canada. We went by the intent of the rules in many instances. Our club would not have had a concern if it had the outward appearance similar to production rifles. Afterall, the Anschutz 1700series synthetic stock is pretty trick. Check first.

If you want to shoot the two classes but reduce hardware cost, you can use the hunter class gun in Silhouette. I had two guns but eventually switched to one so that i would not have two trigger pulls.

Big bore would of course, need another rifle, scope, etc.

I liked scopes with a mag of 24X but would rec. starting with a 16 or 18X until you get comfortable with your hold. You need to ensure that the knobs are repeatable.

The B&L Elite 4000/4200 6X24 is a great scope and well priced. Leupolds are common. Also consider some of the older Japanese made Tasco World Class fixed power scopes. Wonderful adjustments and better then average optics. Well made and very cheap. Make sure they are made in Japan.

Jerry

Have not been back to this forum for awhile so I did not notice your post. Jerry gave you really good advice. If you have other questions please feel free to email me directly with them.

Thanks again for the help. I've just found a club about 20 miles from here that does silhouette shoots and I'll go over there soon and see what's going on.

I have an old Leupold 12 power scope that I use for developing loads and playing with new guns; maybe it'll work to get me started.

jmbn

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.