Limitations on Antelope part 2? 6.5x47 Lapua

backyardsniper

You guys have given me a wealth of knowledge on this subject as far as what the 243 is likely capable of on antelope. So much do that I think it might be a touch short on energy at the outside edge of the limits of what I would possibly shoot so I have decided to further my testing to my 6.5x47 Lapua barrel. It is currently at 1300ish rounds and I think has enough life left possibly for a summer of practice and still be able to make the hunt.
So that being said would anyone like to weigh in on what the outer limits of effectiveness of the 6.5x47 would be on antelope sized game as well as any suggestions on bullet selection. I'm currently experimenting with the 143 eldx and cfe223. I did just purchase some H4350 and I plan to try that with a few different 140 class bullets. Also any info on approx. Barrel life on these provided of course that it's not ran crazy hot all the time?

I have burnt out 6.5x47 barrels at 2100 (really should have replaced at 1800) and had them still shooting well past 3k. The most life came from shooting H4350 and 130 and 140 VLDs with not much PRS. The really short barrel lived on a diet of 147s and RL16 and mostly PRS style shooting. A lot of folks will disagree, but based on construction of the bullet, I look at the fps at a given range and the energy it would deliver. Ballistic Studies has a good page on effective game killing. After reading and digesting several times, I put my personal cutoff at 2000 fps as I usually shoot Eldx/eldm bullets. So based on the elevation and velocity, that would be around 600yd. But the other day, I was shooting a swirling 10+mph wind with a slow load (147 at 2670) and had problems with a 6" steel at 325 off my tripod. So that 600 yd number is based on perfect conditions and position.

This is what I am going to use this fall on my New Mexico antelope hunt.

110 grain Hammer Hunters

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

My daughter shoots a 6.5SLR, just a touch hotter than a 6.5x47L. She runs a 22" 1:8" and pushes a 130 Berger AR Hybrid (or OTM) @ 2901fps (or 2925fps suppressed) over H4350.

She took her 2019 NM pronghorn at 391 yards, one and done. She also has taken 3 mule deer bucks, 454, 532, and 637 yards. All dropped at the shot as well. Total tracking for all 4 game animals combined was 0 yards. The 130 @ 2900, where we hunt pronghorn, is a legitimate 1000 yard pronghorn round. 1800fps & 940ft/lbs @ 1010 yards.

I am assuming she will be using the same rifle this summer in NM again for another pronghorn.

In 6.5x47 I would go for a 130 grain berger. I heart shot an antelope at 570 yards with a 243ai and a 105 vld. It dropped like a rock. Berger just releases a 6mm 108 elite hunter that looks promising.

Last edited:
Yep, as fabricator21 said. My X47 loves the 130 Berger over H4350. This gun consistently shoots well under 1/2 inch groups for 465 shots thus far.

I mentioned it in your other thread; but I vote for the 130 Berger hunting. Out of my RBros built 6.5x47 with a 26" broughton it drives the 130 at 2950 FPS with no pressure signs. I also use H4350. With my light weight stalking x47 I shoot the 124 HH. Excellent results with that bullet as well.

So many good loads for the 6.5x47. I have not used the 135 Berger Classic on meat yet, but 37.7 grains of varget gets me 2,770 out of a 19" barrel. Shoots 5 at 100 like this and 3 at 1000 like this:

I think I need to try some of those 130s though. Buddy gave me some 130 AR hybrids and thinking they'd probably do good too. Previously have just used 140 vld on everything and no tracking like so many on this thread. Good luck on your antelope hunt!

Thanks for the reply man. That is some good shooting there. I'm doing some testing this morning actually. I have varget and 4350 but I'm going to try CFE223. I run it in my 308,223, 6.5 Grendel and some others because it meters so accurately through my Dillon. If I can find a load with it that gives me good accuracy I wont have to hand measure each one and I can buy a bunch of brass and get to practicing as well as be able to use a powder I already purchase in bulk for several rifles. I can always work up a couple hundred with varget if I need to for special occasions like the hunting trip but if I can get that kind of accuracy from the cfe that will make production of ammo a breeze.

Antelope are not difficult to dispatch. A projectile placed in the lungs and will die. That being said, a 6.5x47/140, is plenty, especially if what you say, you're well practiced with it?
If it were legal here in CO, I would use my 26" 223 Rem with the 75 gn ELDM load I developed for it, instead of the 6CM/110SMK, 25CM/131BJ, 6.5CM/130ELDM, 28Nosler/xxx or 300RUM/208ELDM?
Best antelope hunting advice I can offer, whatever you happen to be using for the hunt, don't take shoulder shots on them, if at all possible, they're small to begin with and that's a lot of meat to be lost.

After seeing the crazy low SDs guys were getting with varget in the 6.5x47, I worked up a load for it with the 147. In my one rifle it gives 2735, in my other it only gives 2670. Check out the cartridge/load analysis that was done on precision rifle blog. The node for varget seems to be in the 37gr range. But it does give the best SD/ES I've gotten for any rifle/load

Here in New Zealand, goats upto Sika and red deer are taken with 222/223R. Using the right placement and bullets, DRT. 243, 6mmR, 6.5 Swede, CM, 270 (well loved favourite of older hunters), 7-08, 280R, 284, '06, 308, 303 Brit and anything up 458W Magnum - and any other calibre available here. Even RF, though most hunters are aware of the limitations of these pipsqueak's. Wapiti, Sambar and Rusa generally (for a clean harvest), taken with a magnum of some kind. But Wapiti and Tahr due to the environment (in excess of 750-800yds), require something with a bit of reach. Sambar (sneaky buggers), are very heavily built so require a heavy bullet in a larger calibre. Rusa are about the same size as red deer, so can be harvested with similar calibres. As red's/Sika are heavily hunted, they tend to stick to bush and can quite thrilling to stalk and to call in. So the options are endless. My 2c worth from the other side of the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.