Limbsaver recoil pads getting sticky

I have same problem with a nice over under shot gun, it has done that in 2 different safes. PITA to stick every time I pulled it out of the safe. I simply took some of my wife`s waxed paper from the kitchen & put under the gun, been working so far?

I personally have not had the issue with their pads. but I had a limb saver stabilizer on my compound bow was shooting in the yard one summer day came in the house due to the phone ringing laid the bow on the wife's new couch. And now it looks like some one smeared a poopsicle on the couch . Guess who got a butt chewing later. I even tried the famous blame it on the dog trick!
I've tried everything I can think of to get it off her couch and it won't budge. I had no idea that it had softened up or deteriorated whatever you wanna call it .

LimbSave or Kick-Eez used to provide a tool that consisted of a stud about 1/8th inch in diameter and about 1 1/2 inches long, that was molded into a piece of rubber that was 3/4 of an inch thick and 3/4 of an inch in diameter. The stud part would be inserted into the screw holle that holds the recoil pad onto the buttstock and the entire rifle rested on that tool taking pressure off of the recoil pad and placing it on the tool. It would be simple enough to make one out of a piece of dowel, a nail and some blue to hold the stud in place. And.....I agree this ought not be to be necessary, however this is the hand that has been dealt.

Also I have at least six or seven rifles with Kick-Eez recoil pads that are close to ten-years old and not issues as of yet.

I always stored mine muzzle down. It would stick to the wall.

The safe is in the basement, no sunlight and coolest and driest spot in the house. Nice even temps year round. Heat and sunlight are not the factor.No chemicals or oils applied to pad to cause it to break down.
An old shooter friend of mine used to refurb old clocks. To lube the movements he would take a mayonnaise jar lid, get a cotton ball damp with sewing machine oil and just set the ball, in the lid, inside the clock. He said the oil would evaporate and condense on the movement parts. Same thing happens in the safe. 16 rifles are all oiled up until next season. On 16 rifles that is quite a bit of oil. Since the safe probably isn't opened regularly, that evaporated oil, being heavier than air settles to the bottom of the safe where your pads are. Just my 2 cents on what is happening. If you doubt oil evaporating, over time when the goodies evaporate out you're left with a thick mess that doesn't lube or protect anything, I'm sure we've all seen this happen. Have you ever had or heard of a rifle bolt gumming up and not functioning until cleaned thoroughly.

Not that big of a deal for one of them, but one is a grinder fit that I had to have a gunsmith do for me. I hate to have to pay for him to regrind another pad. Probably not a big deal to do by myself, but it is on a nice rifle and I hate to scratch up the stock
Don't do it on the Gun...take the old pad off....trace or scribe it on the new .....and grind away!!!!!!!

Don't do it on the Gun...take the old pad off....trace or scribe it on the new .....and grind away!!!!!!!

Yup......................DITTO on that one. DON"T DO IT!!! If the pad is fitted as "skipglo" has described an you mess up, the only thing you will have is a messed up, REPLACEABLE recoil pad. There's videos out there showing how to grind a pad in on the stock, well.....it doesn't work as easily as it is shown. "One" slip ever so slight and you'll have a stock with a grind mark that will never go away unless the stock is refinished.

Folks, what softens limbsaver recoil pads isn't anything that you put on your gun or anything coming from your safe. It is bug spray containing deet. don't ever use mosquito spray containing Deet around your guns or anything rubber or plastic. You put it on your clothing to keep mosquitoes away and it gets on your recoil pad and eats it.

I have several rifles that have limb saver recoil pads on them, and a couple of them are starting to get sticky. They are actually starting to stick to the bottom of the gun safe. Is there anything I can do to stop them from deteriorating? Thank you

Limbsaver recoil pads will break down if left in contact with most carpeting. Remove the contact & stop the breakdown — but that won't undo the damage already done.

Grinding a Limbsaver pad is not for the faint of heart. They are a mess to work with.

Never had a limb saver, but have almost 20 Kick-Eze pads on shotguns & rifles. Some >20 yrs old. No problems
I scribe and grind my own. Scribe then remove excess slowly holding it against the stock every little bit to check your angles/slopes.
A belt sander with 80 grit works fine

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts