Limb savers on rifle barrels?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Brian Rybicky, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Brian Rybicky

Brian Rybicky Well-Known Member

Has anyone here tried putting limb saver products on rifle barrels/actions inorder to reduce vibrations. Is this just a bad idea or will it work?

2. H-BAR

H-BAR Well-Known Member

Brian- Being an archery dealer at one time and into music I can tell you that limb savers work on archery products by way of the different material causing destructive vibration to silence the limbs. I don't know exactly but I would bet that it would make the barrels vibration less predictable and cause more variation that it would cure.
    However there are a lot of guys on here that would not mind your input should you try it. I am betting it is like a stock contacting the barrel but could be wrong. If you try it please let us know how it comes out.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Never gave much thought to trying them... ???

The problem with barrel contact if that it must be consistent so things like a barrel channel "rub" are "anti-good" (Dave King term). A limb saver device should be something that can be made consistent but would it help with accuracy by dampening the vibration(s)???? Let's get someone to try it on a few rifles (or dredge up info on previous like usage) of varying barrel length and "whip" characteristics.

Sounds like a quest!!!

4. Brian Rybicky

Brian Rybicky Well-Known Member

Thanks for the imputs give me a couple of weeks to get my target rifle set up if worst comes to worst they can always go on my bow

5. Jeff In TX

Jeff In TX Well-Known Member

IMHO a limb saver on a barrel would do nothing but change the node of the barrel. Meaning the barrel’s vibrations transition point. Just as one of the BOSS muzzle tuning devices do.

Dave your right, the limb saver would have to be positioned at the exact same point shot after shot.

You can’t escape barrel vibration. The science to the art is to find the perfect bullet/load combination and barrel length that hits the barrels sweet spot everytime, or something like that.

Hope it helps.
    [​IMG]

6. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

I have thought of the same thing before but never tried it. I strayed away from the idea with the same concerns that H-BAR has.