Lilja bbl

Varmint Hunter

Thanks to you guys, I'm begining to work on the details of building a new longrange varmint rifle in 6.5x284.
I will be working with a blueprinted 40x receiver and will probably purchase a Shehane ST1000F Tracker stock.
Currently considering a 28" Lilja, 3 groove, 8.5" twist, #7 contour, fluted, SS barrel. Also pondering the idea of a Vais brake.
Any advise on the barrel selection?

VH

I believe that Lilja makes some awsome barrels, I dont think you can go wrong with them.

The smith I use only uses hart and lilja. He refuses to use shilen. What he does when he recives a barrel is a complete examination. He checks them for concentricity and he bore scopes each barrel. All said he spends about 3 hours on a barrel before he even works on it. He used shilen for a while and sent back 3 out of 5 barrels he would recive. At least for his standards anyway. He has never sent a lilja back. 90% of the barrels he uses are lilja and nobody has ever complained.

I just recieved a lilja #7 straight taper from him and he is chambering it for 300 RUM tight neck. It will be put to a 700 action. Every rifle he builds is an exeptional work of art. I have NEVER seen a rifle of his that wouldnt shoot very good.

Dan makes some great barrels , I have one it its a great shooter and almost doesen't foul!
I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that it is better than my Hart or Pac-Nor but it is a great tube.
Personaly I don't think I'll ever get another barrel that isin't a Pac-Nor 3 groove as the price is great , doesen't take forever to get here and I can't se any differance between them

Also , I'm not real big on the 6.5-284 but I see that alot of guys are going with 30-34" barrels to get all of the good out of them I'm not use what your use is going to be but you might want to ask around about the barrel length.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.