Lightweight, Short Action Cheytac

300magman

Is there any manufacturer out there that makes lightweight, short actions big enough to house the Cheytac case?
Obviously I'm talking about building a single shot that is loaded by removing the bolt, but for a target gun I don't think it would bother me. But I have to keep it reasonably short and light.

If you are making a single shot, why the short action? -- what's the difference if you build it on a long action?

If you are shooting the Cheytac, why lightweight? it's going to kick like a mule unless you put a muzzle brake on it, and if you are conserving weight, you will not want the 26 + inch barrel that is needed to utilize the powder capacity of the Cheytac....

what are you building?

If you are making a single shot, why the short action? -- what's the difference if you build it on a long action?

It would be longer ;-)

If you are shooting the Cheytac, why lightweight? it's going to kick like a mule unless you put a muzzle brake on it, and if you are conserving weight, you will not want the 26 + inch barrel that is needed to utilize the powder capacity of the Cheytac....

A shorter, lighter action leaves me extra length/weight to add to the barrel and still be the "more portable" size I am aiming for.

what are you building?

Secret...for now :D

Hi,it's not a short action but barnard(www.barnard.co.nz)make a nice action to suit,it does not seem to look as bulky as the other brands and the are trued and ready to go out of the box,they also accept remington style triggers,that would be my choice i would look to save weight with bases,scope and rings possibly a carbon wrapped barrel i wouldn't skimp on the action with a big boomer like the cheytac.Good luck mate.

I am building a 338/408 that will be around 11 lbs. The action is an 8500 lawton short action. It will eject fired cases but ejection of loaded rds will require sliding the bolt past the release. I think the 8500 is the lightest action around that will handle the Chey-tac case.

^^^^

haha...wow...is that what I think it is?

Interesting, but maybe a little too unconventional for me.

I personally would not be interested in shooting a 11# Chey-Tac.
For these rifles that shoot the 300gr or heavier bullets, I would want to be in the 14# range or heavier. So, with that said, I don't see the advantage of a short/ light action in these calibers.

The advantage in a lighter/shorter action is that it allows you to put any weight you want -where it's actually needed(barrel/stock).

I think that's where thread starter is headed.

What weight are you really going to save by going to a "lite short action" . A few ounces maybe. In a caliber of this size are we really worried about a few ounces of weight. I would not be.

It's more than a few ounces in BALANCE, as the barrel is moved further forward.
I know, grossly heavy, imbalanced, & white metal guns are all the rage today...
But tomorrow things likely go full circle back to reality.

A few extra ounces on any one component won't make much of a difference...but a few extra ounces on all the components sure will add up fast.

And for me, its also about overall length, as previously mentioned a longer barrel is preferable, but I don't want the rifle getting too unwieldly long....for the definition of unwieldly long quickly look up the length of a standard short action built around a .308, then look up the length of an action built to cycle loaded .408 ammo

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.