Lightweight Scopes

IMHO

Vortex suck, too many repair problems,
That you have experienced personally or that you have heard about? I have several vortex scopes, hst pst hslr pst gen 2 - never had one go back for repair and I beat the crap out of them. For the price they can't be beat...I run them out to 1250 all the time. They track well, return to zero and never lose zero.

I'm really liking my 5 Viper Vortex, 4-16 X 44 HS-T scopes...I "re-eyeballed" several rifles with that set up after being impressed with my son's two rigs set up with it. They weigh 20 oz and come in at about $700.00 with rings. Lifetime warranty and performance with mine has been great--good optics. You can get custom turrets from Kenton Industries for abut $130.00. They are SFP which I prefer for hunting purposes.

IMO, to get the MOST of his rifle, he will eventually need turrets, Hold over at 500 yards is a guess. His rifle is NOT a cheap Bushmaster from Academy. Irs a great long range set up, way past 500 capability. All he needs is a GREAT scope and a Geislle trigger ar 1.5#
I went with a Triggertech - but Geislle & Timney were my final 3 just came down to getting a better deal on one.

The rifle will sit on an AR-10 chambered in 7mm-08 w/18" criterion. I will use the rifle to plink sheep targets up to 500 yards and as a backup on deer/elk I have about $1500 I can spend but I'd be more comfortable around $1k. I'm open to FFP or SFP - I have been considering grabbing one of each since I have a 308 MK-V needing a scope too. I'm looking for a max magnification between 9-20. My eyes are starting to go so illuminated is nice but not a must have. At the end of the day I'd like a scope that's simple to learn, doesn't cover the entire target at 500 yards. For the last 20 years I've been doing more rim fire and peep sites with the occasional 2.5-8 VX-iii thrown in (back in the 90's fixed 10x in the military). - I feel I'm basically starting over so my preferences aren't set.

I'll more than likely get thrown into the lake of Fire for saying this but to 500 yards, lightweight scope, sheep targets and backup on deer/elk. Ah....do I dare say this....ok what the heck just buy a Leupold 3-10 with a CDS on top and get to filling up arks! Now you all can dog pile me for being so simplistic:)

My suggestion to fit within your weight and budget guidelines is a Leupold VX-3i Side-focus , 4.5 x 14 x 40 with 30mm tube , Windplex reticle and zero-lock turret , SFP . weight is 15.6 oz. , length is 12.6" , total internal elevation and windage travel is 113 moa .
Even though the Zero-lock turret will limit you to 14 moa , just less than 1 revolution , you can loosen the set screws on the turret and re-position the turret slightly higher on the elevation stem and gain access to full elevation travel , but you will loose the zero-lock feature's ability to return-lock to zero .
I have this scope mounted on a 6.5 CM rifle with 30 MOA base and I have over 85 MOA elevation available , and I have never had any tracking issues . Very clear glass also .
With your $1500.00 budget , you could purchase 2 of these scopes , bases and rings for 1 scope .

My scope will handle the recoil of a .340 Weatherby Magnum with total rifle/scope weight of 9.5 pounds .

DMP25-06

Anything wrong with just grabbing one of the Nightforce scopes? Does Nightforce warranty their products well?

Doesn't seem like you see a lot of nightforce scopes needing warranty. But from what I've seen they do have a pretty good warranty. Weight wise most of them will weigh more than you listed in your original post as acceptable. But in my opinion (which isn't worth much) they are a very good scope.

I don't remember where I found this and cannot attest to it's accuracy. But it might be helpful to someone on here.

Attachments

• Rifle Scopes Sorted by Weight - Sheet1.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 228
My plain jane and your plain jane are different. Leopold makes the 3Xi with several options. The OP might not need tall dialable turrents, illumintion, side focus or other options, every one of which adds weight.
I do not want illuminated tall dialable turrets or any of that. In fact I run several Burris Fullfield scopes that I love. I have one Vortex and I don't like it at all. It was twice as expensive as my Burris optics. I was looking for something that was supposed to be better quality than the old a Fullfields I have.

I'll more than likely get thrown into the lake of Fire for saying this but to 500 yards, lightweight scope, sheep targets and backup on deer/elk. Ah....do I dare say this....ok what the heck just buy a Leupold 3-10 with a CDS on top and get to filling up arks! Now you all can dog pile me for being so simplistic:)
And it's 12 oz!
They are great light weight scopes!

IMO, to get the MOST of his rifle, he will eventually need turrets, Hold over at 500 yards is a guess. His rifle is NOT a cheap Bushmaster from Academy. Irs a great long range set up, way past 500 capability. All he needs is a GREAT scope and a Geislle trigger ar 1.5#
Can you share a link to a Geissele 1.5lb trigger?

To the OP, if I wanted a good scope near that weight, it would be a Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15 FFP. If no flexibility on weight, a Leupold VX-3i or 3hd with a cds and wind-plex reticle…..probably 14x max power.