Lightweight scope for mountain rifle 500 yards max

Not sure I agree that magnification has alot to do with that specific use. I use a 4.5-14 Leupold on ground hog shoots every year. We kill them behind 1100 yards and the crosshairs center in the ground hogs body with covering up the entire animal. Quality of the optic plays a much more important role than magnification. I've had cheap high power scopes that I couldn't shoot 600 yards with and can shoot double that with my 14X scope. I have higher power scopes also that are spendy model scopes but they are for specifically targets or steel banging at many more yards. The 10X while not ideal will work fine for human size targets beyond 1K easily. No maybe not head shots or small aim points but center shots very effectively. Snipers used them and succeeded with them for decades.

For your price range lots of options. You don't mention the cartridge, and 4-500 yards you won't need to dial diddly squat with a decent MPBR zero and chart taped to your rifle. I am a Leupold fan on my hunting for food scopes. Any of the VX3 or VX5 in the 2-10 power range with the reticle you want is my call. If I could find a old (non target turret) VX3 in 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 be my choice.

I have a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 X 40, 30mm tube with side focus and a B&C reticle on one of my 260 Remingtons. IMHO its a very good all around hunting scope.
I have the same thing- 1" tube and it works well for me. Mounted to 700 .270 with Talley lightweight rings. Pretty light for an all around carry gun for close/mid-range work.

Plus they don't break the bank.

Not sure I agree that magnification has alot to do with that specific use. I use a 4.5-14 Leupold on ground hog shoots every year. We kill them behind 1100 yards and the crosshairs center in the ground hogs body with covering up the entire animal. Quality of the optic plays a much more important role than magnification. I've had cheap high power scopes that I couldn't shoot 600 yards with and can shoot double that with my 14X scope. I have higher power scopes also that are spendy model scopes but they are for specifically targets or steel banging at many more yards. The 10X while not ideal will work fine for human size targets beyond 1K easily. No maybe not head shots or small aim points but center shots very effectively. Snipers used them and succeeded with them for decades.
I have to agree that the glass quality has more to do with this than the magnification. I've mounted a Leupold fixed 2.5X on a M1A because that's all I had at the time and had no problems hitting targets at 450 yards. That fixed 2.5X intended use is for my Marlin 45-70 bear protection. Light, tough, and idiot proof. No way for me it to be dial it to a high power and forget to dial it back down.

I have that SWFA 10X and the application is far different. As a sniper scope a 10X would be rugged but not ideal. As a hunting scope I've toyed with the ideal and have used it on targets out to 1230 yards and as close as 7 yards on a rat. But it really cannot compare to a good low powered variable for out to 500 yards. It's just a different application.
Look up the history of the original iteration of that scope, it was developed for the Navy (Circa $700 apiece). Not being argumentative just pointing out that the 10X 42 is an inexpensive, light weight option. I'm satisfied with it but have more expensive glass on other rifles and favor ffps with mil dot reticles. Appreciate your perspective. Thank you.

A 2 x 8 duplex will work just fine. Using a range finder to determine your yardage. Do some target shooting to see where you need to hold with the scope at the different yardages. Light and simple too. Shooting 500yds and under you really don't need a high end scope. Cut down on weight too. I for years just use the duplex and know animal height in the scope to determine it's range and what to hold over out to 500yds.

As far as light weight scopes go the Leupolds are top tier in your price bracket.
I own many Leupolds and wouldn't trade any of them but if you ever start looking at a little more money for optics look at the Klassic models of Schmidt & Bender.Some were on sale for 1100.00 to 1300.00 but that is 1 inch tubes but as always great glass.