Lightweight Rifle Recommendations

Ltsheets

I've decided to buy a new lightweight rifle for backcountry and sheep hunting applications. I'm considering a Fierce as an option along with having a full custom built. I'm in no rush so I want to make sure I do plenty of research. The max weight I want for bare rifle is 6.5 lbs and I'd prefer it closer to 6. Any and all ideas/opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you are considering a fierce, what bullet are you hoping to shoot? .... and if it's something other than a Barnes, I would caution you and advise you to do your homework on that topic. I have a buddy who bought a Fierce 7 mag, and tried SEVERAL different bullets and loads, but couldn't get them to meet their 1/2" guarantee. (Yes, he's a very knowledgeable and experienced reloader, and proficient long range shooter.) ... long story short, he sent it back to fierce... some time later, and several phone calls and emails later, they told him that they tried several loads and bullets and the only one that would shoot under 1/2" was a Barnes. (It did shoot those Barnes well under half inch).... anyways, they felt that met their 1/2" guarantee and sent it back.... Please understand, I'm not trying to rip on Fierce in any way, but don't want to see anyone disappointed as this guy was being limited strictly to a Barnes... A little more research on my buddy's end, turned up that others had similar experiences. For whatever reason those barrels REALLY seem to favor Barnes bullets. (I know, I can't wrap my head around it either.)

That's very interesting. I'll have to do some research on that before buying one. I like Barnes bullets but would like the option to try others if I want.

If you are considering a fierce, what bullet are you hoping to shoot? .... and if it's something other than a Barnes, I would caution you and advise you to do your homework on that topic. I have a buddy who bought a Fierce 7 mag, and tried SEVERAL different bullets and loads, but couldn't get them to meet their 1/2" guarantee. (Yes, he's a very knowledgeable and experienced reloader, and proficient long range shooter.) ... long story short, he sent it back to fierce... some time later, and several phone calls and emails later, they told him that they tried several loads and bullets and the only one that would shoot under 1/2" was a Barnes. (It did shoot those Barnes well under half inch).... anyways, they felt that met their 1/2" guarantee and sent it back.... Please understand, I'm not trying to rip on Fierce in any way, but don't want to see anyone disappointed as this guy was being limited strictly to a Barnes... A little more research on my buddy's end, turned up that others had similar experiences. For whatever reason those barrels REALLY seem to favor Barnes bullets. (I know, I can't wrap my head around it either.)

Ya, look into it. Not trying to sway you one way or the other, but just wanted to pass that information along... I did forget to mention that it was the 145 LRX, that his gun liked.... which is a good bullet, but the BC is a little disappointing for a guy looking to stretch it out at longer ranges.

The six lug?

Weatherby makes two actions sizes. The normal Mark V action weighs about thrity-six ounces. The small six lug Mark V actions weighs twenty-six ounces. The diameter of the larger one measures about 1.35" diameter while the smaller one is about 1.140". This is not the Vanguard but a Mark V with a 24" barrel. I have two of the six lug actions. One is a wildcat that used to be a .25-06 and the other is a .270 Win. Three shot groups run from 3/16" up to 5/8".

That makes sense.

Anyone have any experience with the lightweight rifles made by Rifles Inc.?

Rifles Inc make an excellent product. They are quite expensive tho.

IMO the best light-weight is NULA.

More frugal options would include the Kimber Montana or Forbes rifle (find an early serial #).

That makes sense.

Check out MG Arms in Houston, Tx. My son had a 300 WM made that weighed in about 5# bare. He is very pleased with it, but it does have a learning period to shoot vs a 8-10# rifle. Based on skeletonized Mod 700 and Kevlar stock.

That makes sense.

Cant go wrong with Nula or rifles inc. Both have pros and cons.
Also checkout cooper backcountry 92
And talk to hill country rifles as well. They can put together a lightweight rifle after you select components

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.