lightweight rifle components

TARGETMAN

Since I decided to build a lightweight .308 Win, I have spent numerous hours researching rifle components, especially the weight of each part. Here is a summary of what I have found. I have not verified any of these weights, simply consolidated the info from various websites. Hopefully someone will find this useful.

SHORT ACTIONS:
Stiller Tac 30 27 ozs
Remington 700 29.3 ozs (with X Mark Pro trigger)
X-treme Titanium ~19.24 ozs
Pierce Titanium 18.5 ozs
Defiance Ultralight 25 ozs

Jewell Trigger 2.9 ozs (w/safety and bolt release)

trigger guard .33 ozs
(nylon from McMillan Stocks)

Hart #1 barrel @22" 36 ozs
Bartlein Win featherweight @23" 32 ozs

Manner's MCS-EH8 stock 22-24 ozs
McMillan Edge 24 ozs

Magazine (blind) 3 ozs
Follower 1.1 ozs
3 screw set 1 ozs
mag spring .5 ozs

Talley 1-pc ring/base 3 ozs (per set)

That is a big help - thanks. I've been tracking actions for future rifle projects.
Lone Peak Arms and Phoenix also make titanium actions.
Adds up to about 5.6 lbs for the rifle without the scope.
Will need to add weight for the recoil lug, and maybe a muzzle brake too.

Very cool, thanks for compiling and posting the info.

What are the specs on the lightweight 308 that you built?

My build will be with the Pierce Titanium action w/titanium recoil lug, McMillan Edge stock w/1" Decelerator pad (could save an oz or so with a 1/2" pad), Hart barrel in Douglas Featherweight contour @20", Jewell trigger, Remingtion blind mag metal, nylon trigger guard, Talley 1 piece lightweight rings/bases.

I haven't decided on scope yet. I really wanted a FFP scope w/ballistic reticle that weighed 12 ozs or less but they appear to be non-existant. Most have 30mm tubes and are high magnification. It also boils down to what I can afford after buying all these parts! :)

So the short list is:
Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40 at 12.6 ozs W/LR Duplex
Leupold VX-2 3x9x40 at 11.2 ozs w/LR Duplex
Swarovski Z3 3x10x40 at 12.7 ozs w/BRX reticle

Leupold makes an UltraLight VX-2 3x9x33 at 9.3 ozs but for 2 more ozs I can get a 40mm objective which I think is worth the extra 2 ozs for what it will gain in light gathering. The Swarovksi Z3 3x9x36 weighs 12 ozs but the BRX reticle is not available on this scope.

I built what I consider a lightweight .308 rifle and it shoots 1/2 all day long with Berger 168gr hybrid hunting.

rem 700 trued action

Bartlein #3 contour 22" barrel

McMillian edge stock

Jewel Trigger

Leupold VX-6 2x12

Rifle weighs 6# 8 oz

Rifle and Scope ready to go weighs under 8#

I am very pleased with the outcome. I have about $1500 in the rifle and $1000 in the scope.

That is a big help - thanks. I've been tracking actions for future rifle projects.
Lone Peak Arms and Phoenix also make titanium actions.
Adds up to about 5.6 lbs for the rifle without the scope.
Will need to add weight for the recoil lug, and maybe a muzzle brake too.

Bruce, do you have any specs for the Lone Peak Arms action and the Phoenix action?

Thanks in advance, Jed

Lone Peak Arms website has some good info. Razor

The Phoenix Trinity website has a photo but no info. McWhorter supplies barreled actions using these actions. I requested info a couple of months ago and received action pricing but no specs. A short Ti action in low quantities costs $1,225. Build to order only - 3 months. If you contact them, let us know what you find.
Firearms | Phoenix Trinity

Here are the weights of the parts that I currently have on hand, they were weighed on a Hornady digital scale:

Jewell HVRTS-A = 2.627 oz
Rem factory follower = 1.072 oz
Rem factory mag spring = .386 oz
Rem factory ADL mag w/screw = 2.004 oz

I finally received all my components for my .308 Win build.

McMillan Edge stock with 1" decelerator pad: 26.5 oz
Nylon trigger guard: .5 oz
hex head screw set: .5 oz
Talley lightweight 1-pc rings/bases: 2.5 oz
follower: 1 oz
follower spring: .5 oz
ADL mag metal; 2 oz
Jewell trigger: 2.5 oz
Hart barrel, Douglas Featherweight contour @20": 34 oz (unfinished barrel)
titanium recoil lug: .5 oz
Pierce Titanium action: 8.5 oz
Pierce bolt: 9.5 oz
PRIDE FOWLER PFI Rapid-Reticle 3-9x42 Rifle Scope (RR-800-1): 16 oz
Total: 6 lbs 5.3 ozs (will lose a couple ozs off barrel when cut to length and threaded)

I just got all the components ordered for a long range mountain gun. Thought I'd share my findings...

Chamber: 7SAUM
Action: Defiance Deviant Ultralight Short Action with PTG hinged floorplate and Wyatt box- 29oz $1227.

Trigger: Jewell- 2 oz $236

Stock: Manners EH1- 28oz $626

Scope: Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 side focus CDS ZL with Nightforce UL rings- 19.2oz $N/A

Barrel: Proof Research 28" Carbon Fiber Sendero contour- 55oz $837

Came out to about 7.4 lbs for the rifle and 8.8 with the scope. Cost is around $3100 for the rifle and I already have the scope.

Bottom line is Long range + lightweight = extremely expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.