Lightweight rifle build

Thank you JE Custom,

Its nice having a gunsmith help out. Can't beat that..

Ive used lilja barrels before and lliked them but I was thinking of trying something new. What other barrel would you go with?

I absolutely agree about the actions. It just seems that with rem actiins being so expensive to start with its about the same after accurizing to go with a custom. Unless I can find a steal of a deal on a 700.

On the trigger I think I will go with the jewell. It seems everyone says they are the best. Time to get one I guess

Thanks again

I have used magnum research, christensen arms, abs, abs bettin wrapped, and now proof researchs. The reason I used them was to see what it was all about, they look cool and give you a heavier contour barrel at less weight but a #4 will shoot as good and weigh the same(ish). My 280AI is a 4.5 rock creek and weights almost the same as my 7-300 proof research. The proof is a heavier barrel than the bettin customs wrapped barrel I got. Proof is trying to make a even lighter carbon barrel smaller wrap.
Jewelle is the best trigger, customs actions look cool and are worth more but a 700 will shoot as good. Its all in what you want. I went through 25+ guns changing parts before I decided there is no perfect do all gun. A good gunsmith and good parts will make a great gun.

good luck on your build

Here's a build I did.Defiance rebel, Abs Saturn 26" braked in aLonewolf summit.Fluted bolt alum knob built in pinned rail 7 lb 2oz. I shot factory 340 and kicked like a mule compared spot my own hits most of the time.I have a similar rifle Proof in Lonewlf tact 2 , barrel is heavier and has AI clip, 11 lb 4oz. I'd post pict but comp. is down and on phone both 338 Nm

Thank you JE Custom,

Its nice having a gunsmith help out. Can't beat that..

Ive used lilja barrels before and lliked them but I was thinking of trying something new. What other barrel would you go with?

I absolutely agree about the actions. It just seems that with rem actiins being so expensive to start with its about the same after accurizing to go with a custom. Unless I can find a steal of a deal on a 700.

On the trigger I think I will go with the jewell. It seems everyone says they are the best. Time to get one I guess

Thanks again

I am a little bias, but I will say this, I have never got a barrel from Lilja, Kreiger, Hart or the shillen select match that would not shoot well below 1/2 MOA (Luck, maybe) I have used other barrel brands and had good luck with them most of the time. I have not used all of the brands that are available but I have a list of the ones that I wont use at all (I will keep that to my self because others may have had good luck with them).

You should be able to find a 700 Remington in very good shape already set up for the big magnums
for $500.00+/- complete. add blueprinting (Around $200.00 +/-) If that is what you want. you might
even find one with a good composite stock (Not one of those Tupperware pieces of junk)and save more money.

Good luck on your build.

J E CUSTOM

Well now we're getting serious. .

Lhouston, thanks for your insight. Seems you've been there and done that. . You make a great point about one rifle wont do it. I use to think that was the case, reality is I'm a rifle looney..

Sp6x6, thank you for chiming in. I've seen a lot of your rifles you've posted and everyone is a work of art. You know your stuff as well. Your build sounds very much like what I want. Thank you

JE Custom, thanks for your honesty regarding actions and barrels. I don't have nearly as much experience as I needed when I started this thread. Thanks for really helping. I have a feeling when this comes together I will be using your break.

Just in case you are interested, A member named -Branwill25 -posted a 700 Rem stainless in 300 rum with a laminate stock for sale at a very good price.
If you are interested you could check with him.

J E CUSTOM

Lightweight rig. I'd buy a used Kimber Montana in 325wsm. Spin barrel off, have smith install a 9 twist 7mm WSM barrel. Bed it and roll on. Would be light, much less expensive and with a good turret equipped scope would work fine to long range.

Kurtb,

Ive wanted to do just that when I found out they quit chambering the 7wsm. I will be doing this but not yet. Is there any other work that needs to be done to make that change?

i,ve been watching this thread and thinking about a rifle with the same parameters like the cool factor of the peirce action but theres piles of rifles on gunbroker and your local gun shops with great actions find a magnum chambered one thats smooth and comfortable( i played with a lot of new actions at the local shops and most feel like clunky junk) then PM je customs about fixing u a rifle. he seems knowledgeable patient and a member.

Do yourself a favor and take my advice.
Buy a Tikka T3 SS 300 win mag or wsm.
Use the leftover $ get a nice scope and any other gear.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.