Lightweight mid range hunting stock?

The rifle I have the alpine hunter on is a Remington 700 with 26in carbon 300 rum barrel plus brake. Talley lightweights and Zeiss v6 scope and comes in at 9lbs 5 oz with atlas rail unloaded. Stock manages recoil just fine with 230 Bergers. Brake helps too.

I have the EH1 on a 300PRC. It seems to manage recoil better than any other stock I've had, directing it straight back. I like it and would definitely get another. I do want to try that Mesa Altitude, seems like people like it.

I have the EH1 on a 300PRC. It seems to manage recoil better than any other stock I've had, directing it straight back. I like it and would definitely get another. I do want to try that Mesa Altitude, seems like people like it.

i thought about the Mesa altitude as well, but don't know where I can get them in Canada. It confusing me that ag doesn't offer a stock that light yet they can produce one for someone else with a vertical grip and a raised cheek piece.

Definitely check out the Mesa if you can figure out how to get one there. Mine with a long action BDL inlet weighed in at 26.9oz bedded and I feel it is a great do all stock for prone, bench, and off hand shooting. The grip is pretty thick but I just rest my thumb on top near the tang as apposed to wrapping around. I've come to really enjoy this style grip as I feel like I have plenty of control to steer the gun but am putting minimal pressure on this area, rather putting reward pressure to my shoulder with the forend, making for a very inline follow through. The texturing on the grip and forend is perfect too. The cheek piece is perfect height for low (.820-.850) rings on a pic rail, but I wouldn't want anything higher than that.
I know AG oem's for a bunch of different builders that offer similarly configured stocks. I think Alamo precision rifles have one and benchmark barrels, if I remember correctly. May be some options to look into.

I imported a Cooper composites stock ,nice light and stiff,price was right,you hve to bed the recoil lug and they dont use a dropin aluminum block but are pillared.
I' m in Canada so sporting Mcmillan are scarce and pricy fwiw..kelly

i thought about the Mesa altitude as well, but don't know where I can get them in Canada. It confusing me that ag doesn't offer a stock that light yet they can produce one for someone else with a vertical grip and a raised cheek piece.
I don't understand how it works for you. When the border was open I'd see tons of Canadians coming down here to do grocery shopping and I know several people who own retail stores who almost specifically sell to Canadians. Can you not just order something from the US? I order things from Canada from time to time if the price is better than down here. Did Trump tearing up NAFTA mess this deal up? I thought you could buy anything made in USA with no tax just like we can buy anything made in Canada with no tax.

Actually the organization is known as ITAR. It's not so much getting the item INTO Canada as it is getting the item OUT of the U.S.

It's a constantly changing landscape

"The U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), administered by the Department of State, regulates the export of defence and aerospace articles, technology and materials from the U.S."

Hand skills said it best. There are a few places that will ship to Canada. There is a $500 limit though. I'm only 15 miles off the ND border and used to go down all the time. Be nice when the border opens again. There is the option to import. Prophet river I think charges $50 for a stock. $250 for a gun or action.

When I first read "Lightweight build", I was thinking 6-7lbs finished weight. If you are looking at 9-10lbs, a LOT of stocks fit that bill.

I am a Manners guy myself. I have three EH1s (two with the ultralight cheek piece option), an EH1A, four PRS2s, and an EH2. I also have a McM Adjustable Game Warden and McM Game Scout.
All but three are rifles between 8.5-10lbs. Including steel actions and an adjustable cheek piece stock. All with decent weight FFP scopes too, nothing ultralight about them.

EH1 w. pillars and sling studs bedded=26-28oz
McM Game Scout (Edge fill) w. pillars and sling studs bedded=31oz
EH1/ultralight cheek piece w. pillars & sling studs bedded=28-30oz
EH1A w. pillars and and sling studs bedded=42oz
PRS2 w. pillars and sling studs bedded=40oz
PRS2 w. Gen 2 mini chassis and sling studs=50oz
McM Adjustable Game Warden (standard fill) w. pillars and bedded=50oz

When I first read "Lightweight build", I was thinking 6-7lbs finished weight. If you are looking at 9-10lbs, a LOT of stocks fit that bill.

I am a Manners guy myself. I have three EH1s (two with the ultralight cheek piece option), an EH1A, four PRS2s, and an EH2. I also have a McM Adjustable Game Warden and McM Game Scout.
All but three are rifles between 8.5-10lbs. Including steel actions and an adjustable cheek piece stock. All with decent weight FFP scopes too, nothing ultralight about them.

EH1 w. pillars and sling studs bedded=26-28oz
McM Game Scout (Edge fill) w. pillars and sling studs bedded=31oz
EH1/ultralight cheek piece w. pillars & sling studs bedded=28-30oz
EH1A w. pillars and and sling studs bedded=42oz
PRS2 w. pillars and sling studs bedded=40oz
PRS2 w. Gen 2 mini chassis and sling studs=50oz
McM Adjustable Game Warden (standard fill) w. pillars and bedded=50oz

thabk you for getting back to me. I want this rifle at an absolute max of 10 lbs ready to hunt (rifle weight, with rings and scope maybe even bipod/sling weight) and the lighter I can go the better. Was thinking a nexus 5-20x50 which is 28oz scope (1.75lbs) plus rings bringing the finished weight of the rifle at a max of 8lbs preferably lighter. So if I can get the bare rifle in the 6.5-7.5 range I'm laughing.

right now I'm pushing it;

lone peak fuzion long action 34.5oz
Number 5 steel fluted finished around 24" 52-56oz
Bottom mental and trigger and brake 10oz

whixh should put me in the 6.25lbs-6.75lbs before stock. So I'm not trying to get a good comfortable stock for most positions and if I can't break the weight range then step into carbon barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.