Lightweight Long Range Rifle

If I read this correctly, the weight totals around 11+ pounds.....that ain't light! At least not in my world! :) memtb
Seriously! My latest put together is a 6.5 cm hunting rifle which came in at 9.2 lbs. and I was disappointed at that. Wanted 8 lbs. 1.2 lbs matters when you're hiking at high altitude, climbing over huge fallen trees, etc.

Go save some money on the rifle and buy a Tikka T3x, excellent shooters for the money. The money you saved on the rifle invest in a good scope like a Sightron or PST 2. I still have a vx3 4.5-14 on mine, but 600 has been no problem. Upgrading to Sightron after deer season.

Seriously! My latest put together is a 6.5 cm hunting rifle which came in at 9.2 lbs. and I was disappointed at that. Wanted 8 lbs. 1.2 lbs matters when you're hiking at high altitude, climbing over huge fallen trees, etc.

Shootn4fun....One of us is misreading the others post intent. I'm suggesting that 11+ pounds is heavy....too heavy for serious mountain hunting! My present rifle (used for 29+ years) weighs in at 9 # 1 ounce ( scoped, slung, and fully loaded). When sheep hunting, I wish it were a bit lighter! memtb

Go save some money on the rifle and buy a Tikka T3x, excellent shooters for the money. The money you saved on the rifle invest in a good scope like a Sightron or PST 2. I still have a vx3 4.5-14 on mine, but 600 has been no problem. Upgrading to Sightron after deer season.

Tikkas are great as long as you don't want to shoot a long action cartridge...

I am going to do the same thing. Bighorn Origin long action with a Proof barrel, KRG Bravo chassis supporting CIP length mag @ 3.850, and a Triggertech Diamond. 300wm until someone starts making brass for the 300 PRC.

There were several comments about idiots, smucks, big bores, science, ft/lbs. energy. First....what exactly is a big-bore? Using science and ft/lbs. energy together would be somewhat of an oxymoron! Obviously youth and today's public school school system, are coming far short of the target.....education. Even basic high school physics can/will disprove the ft/lbs. energy concept. Of course, some believe in Unicorns.

If you truly want to gain some knowledge into terminal ballistics, and transference of bullet energy to an object.....perhaps you should read factual data and "not" believe everything you read on the back of a ammo box, or internet BS.

For your reading pleasure or maybe have someone read it to you....study this educational material.

Also, it's quite safe to insult people that have a different opinion than yours, while hiding behind a keyboard! Respect for others, is something else not offered in today's public school system! memtb

http://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

Okay, what kind of goats are we talking about? When I hear of a goat/elk rifle I'm thinking pronghorns or mountain goats. Neither of which are anywhere in the ballpark of elk tough, pronghorns are positively fragile.
Pronghorns are fragile. Mountain goats...no. I put 2 arrows right through both lungs and mine walked around the side of the mountain and took a header off a cliff. Somehow I got lucky and the horns were not destroyed, but it looked like a blood soaked cotton ball that got dragged behind a truck through a mud bog.

Pronghorns are fragile. Mountain goats...no. I put 2 arrows right through both lungs and mine walked around the side of the mountain and took a header off a cliff. Somehow I got lucky and the horns were not destroyed, but it looked like a blood soaked cotton ball that got dragged behind a truck through a mud bog.
Arrows are different than a berger behind the shoulder.

Arrows are different than a berger behind the shoulder.
Sure they are. That being said, I have never had and elk, bear, or deer do what that goat did. Two broadheads through both lungs is a whole lot of damage. If we are talking about tough animals or comparing such, that qualifies no matter what they are being shot with. They are certainly not in the same category as Pronghorns, which was my point.

Goat = Big Horn Sheep in this thread.

Also, I keep hearing big horn action. Is this because they are light or just a good diy rifle base??

I like 280 ai, but my friend talks about buying factory ammo...ugh
He can buy both 280 Remington and 280 AI factory ammunition (Nosler) for a 280 AI and both will shoot in it. That's one of the things that make the 280 AI neat. When you shoot the 280 Rem. ammo, you get a fireformed 280 AI casing ready to be sized and reloaded.

There were several comments about idiots, smucks, big bores, science, ft/lbs. energy. First....what exactly is a big-bore? Using science and ft/lbs. energy together would be somewhat of an oxymoron! Obviously youth and today's public school school system, are coming far short of the target.....education. Even basic high school physics can/will disprove the ft/lbs. energy concept. Of course, some believe in Unicorns.

If you truly want to gain some knowledge into terminal ballistics, and transference of bullet energy to an object.....perhaps you should read factual data and "not" believe everything you read on the back of a ammo box, or internet BS.

For your reading pleasure or maybe have someone read it to you....study this educational material.

Also, it's quite safe to insult people that have a different opinion than yours, while hiding behind a keyboard! Respect for others, is something else not offered in today's public school system! memtb

http://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

Listen, all it is that older generation does not except fact that even 243 kills elk, that things came long way now, all the tech etc. They still always push you towards 338 and bmg to kill a rabbit. Having 300+ cal has increased recoil, therefore less practice due to punishment, less accuracy etc. To me is strange that people still comment, what i said is literally DROP THE MIC type of comment, but i knew that some older folks will come and still will have something to say, even thought there is nothing else to say, i said everything is needed to know. While, im in mid 30s, i respect elderly, some of their wisdom, but im just stating a fact that most stuck in time. By the way my info comes from science, elk university of colorado parks and wildlife, plus read many scientific articles. No, i dont need for you to read it to me, i come from a well educated family, everyone in my family is with masters, bachelors, my best friend is a phd and a lector at medicine university, i come from intellectual elite. One of my family members speak 7 languages, others with 3-4 languages. Matter of fact we can read for you... in many languages. Anyways, sad that this has to come to this with butt hurt oldschoolers, i will be a smarter one, and give dumb the right of way and i take a higher road... if i hurt anybodys feelings, my bad. Happy hunting, plinking steel, and end of discussion.

Listen, all it is that older generation does not except fact that even 243 kills elk, that things came long way now, all the tech etc. They still always push you towards 338 and bmg to kill a rabbit. Having 300+ cal has increased recoil, therefore less practice due to punishment, less accuracy etc. To me is strange that people still comment, what i said is literally DROP THE MIC type of comment, but i knew that some older folks will come and still will have something to say, even thought there is nothing else to say, i said everything is needed to know. While, im in mid 30s, i respect elderly, some of their wisdom, but im just stating a fact that most stuck in time. By the way my info comes from science, elk university of colorado parks and wildlife, plus read many scientific articles. No, i dont need for you to read it to me, i come from a well educated family, everyone in my family is with masters, bachelors, my best friend is a phd and a lector at medicine university, i come from intellectual elite. One of my family members speak 7 languages, others with 3-4 languages. Matter of fact we can read for you... in many languages. Anyways, sad that this has to come to this with butt hurt oldschoolers, i will be a smarter one, and give dumb the right of way and i take a higher road... if i hurt anybodys feelings, my bad. Happy hunting, plinking steel, and end of discussion.

Properly placed, A knitting needle will kill an elk, or any living big game animal....but, that doesn't make it a logical or desirable weapon to hunt with.

As you failed to respond to the question "what exactly is a big-bore", I'll give you some assistance. It has been generally accepted in the realm of big game hunting, that big-bore calibers start at .40 and larger. I don't remember anyone suggesting the OP go to a .40 caliber+ cartridge. In fact, the .338's mentioned fall into the lower 1/3 of what is generally accepted medium-bore grouping of cartridges!

Properly placed, with a quality bullet...the .243 Win. is an adequate (barely) elk cartridge. However, it leaves very little "room for error"! There is little doubt, that with the advent of better bullets and powders, the smaller calibers kill much more effectively than when originally offered. If the shooter is "incapable" of making incorrect shot placement, due to the shooters error or animal movement at the time of shot, then the bare minimum of cartridges is perfectly acceptable! Unless the above stated qualifications can be guaranteed, then perhaps a somewhat larger caliber cartridge should be considered. Our big game animals deserve the respect of a quick kill!

The world has many "highly educated fools"....try not to join their ranks. Refusing to read and evaluate the merits of the web-link that I offered, firmly establishes you as a "Flat Earther"! Questioning and evaluating long standing beliefs, is the true definition of intelligence! memtb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.