Lightweight heat absorbing epoxy/resin??

Blancoalex

Anyone know of a lightweight heat absorbing epoxy/resin? Would like it to be pourable and then set up after in mold! Guessing my layer thickness would be around 1/4" if this makes a difference.

Thanks,

What temp are you talking about?

Most epoxies don't play well with heat.
About a decade ago I did approach an industrial epoxy manufacturer when I was inquiring about an epoxy to use as a filler for sleeving barrels, but dropped the project.

Never got that far with it. Most epoxies tend to experience heat distortion at under 200 degrees.
Curing additives like quartz (used in JB Weld's "Extreme Heat") and carbon fiber are used in high-temp applications.
Those that I'd seen were paste/putty- and I was looking for a "pourable", heat-conductive epoxy that could be used after the sleeve was in place -thin viscosity injected into the gap between the sleeve and barrel.

No idea what you're molding- but the JB Weld product might work for you, I'm sure there's others on the market as well.

I would look at high temp tooling epoxies. They require a cure cycle of different temps for specific amounts of time, but some can handle 450f

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.