Lightweight Elk Rifle Build

I built a similar rifle, ended up 6lbs 10oz bare. I am using a bigger scope because it was a light weight replacement for my 11lb 7mm LRM long range hunting rifle. I chose the 6.5 PRC for cartridge, this was 3 years ago, I'd still choose the same cartridge now. The Berger 156 EOL at 3040fps is plenty for my needs. I used the following components.

26in Proof Sendero Carbon 1:8 with capped muzzle brake prep and long throat for the 147s and 156s
McMillan Game Hunter Carbon Fiber Stock in Urban Camo with the Edge fill and 2 front sling studs - it was 23oz btw
Defiance Deviant Ultra Light XM Length Action
Defiance XM BDL kit
Timney 2 Stage Calvin Elite trigger

I am using the VX6 4-24x52 HD for my scope currently, 24ish oz. Makes those Coues bucks easier to see at 700 yards.

On scope bases I'd have Defiance pin their base on the action or step up to the -X and stop worrying about bases forever. Or, have them pin the Tallys on. I have used Tallys on mountain rifles and they work great. There are a ton of great 30mm picatinny rings out there. I'm using Seekins 34mm rings, a little heavier but solid.

If you can ordered your stock without pillars, but set up for them. This will allow your gunsmith to fit custom height pillars to perfectly match the metal to the stock. I think that 280AI will be a great cartridge. I'm more of a short mag person but the 7mm bore has a place in my heart.
That is 156 Berger EOL is Poison at the speed. I have mine running at 3035 and it has crushed several deer and a couple moose. Highly capable round and despite the ammo shortage, Hornady has had a factory eldx and eldm periodically available for the 6.5 prc. Might be something to consider if you are leaning toward the 7mm. If 30cal, sounds like 300wm is your best bet.

If I were to do a belted mag, it would be the 308 norma. I have another rifle in that chambering waiting for me to put on a new barrel, too heavy for this adventure though.

I'm sure that a 280 AI is a fine round. I can't argue with anything 7mm. Have you thought about a 7mm SS? Should do what the 280AI would do only in a short action. I know this is splitting hairs and I have several long actions that I really like. I did a light weight rig on a 7mm rem mag and while it's fine, in hindsight I think I would have went short action ( 7mm SS) if I had it to do over again. Not a real big deal either way.

I'm sure that a 280 AI is a fine round. I can't argue with anything 7mm. Have you thought about a 7mm SS? Should do what the 280AI would do only in a short action. I know this is splitting hairs and I have several long actions that I really like. I did a light weight rig on a 7mm rem mag and while it's fine, in hindsight I think I would have went short action ( 7mm SS) if I had it to do over again. Not a real big deal either way.
280ai is a fabulous cartridge and a great option for your search. Another one comes to mind, 7 LRM; Basically a 284 PRC. Can push 180 Berger right at 3000 FPS; non-belted and magnum velocities with the heavies. What's not to love?

Settled on the 300 PRC. Ordered a reamer and barrel yesterday. I've got some brass, just need to pick up a FL die and I'm good to go. Due to the time frame and parts availability here's where I'm at.

-Defiance Anti X LA Mag BF
-Proof Sendero 30 cal 1-9", 26"
-Mesa Precision Altitude Stock
-Hawkins BDL bottom metal
-Wyatt's PRC length extended mag
-Hawkins 3 port tank brake
-Trigger Tech Special

Will most likely get the Hawkins ultralight rings with a VX3 or VX5. I might wait till I get the rifle put together to decided based on weight. the vx3 is about 6 oz lighter than the 5.
Also If anyone is interested in seeing build pics as I put it together, I can do that too.

Settled on the 300 PRC. Ordered a reamer and barrel yesterday. I've got some brass, just need to pick up a FL die and I'm good to go. Due to the time frame and parts availability here's where I'm at.

-Trigger Tech Special

Will most likely get the Hawkins ultralight rings with a VX3 or VX5. I might wait till I get the rifle put together to decided based on weight. the vx3 is about 6 oz lighter than the 5.
Also If anyone is interested in seeing build pics as I put it together, I can do that too.
That should be an a heck of an elk hammer at 500 yards.

-Trigger Tech Special

Very nice!! Great setup! You will love it; I hope it serves you well!

Seems you made up your mind but I was tagged so I'll chime in on a couple of my builds.
First was done years ago and has killed a bunch of critters with authority.

Defiance deviant hunter
26" proof sendero lite 1/8 chambered in 7 rem mag with a bore rider
McMillan HTG
WTO muzzle brake
Jewel HVR
HS DBM
Hawkins low 34mm rings
Leupold mk6 3-18x44
Shooting 180 Berger HVLD at 3070 with a stiff charge of retumbo
Gun comes in right at 9lbs
Built by West Texas Ordnance
Not bad with the MB but without it it's a handful.

Kelbly Atlas Tactical short action
Bartlien #4 carbon 24" 1/8 6.5 PRC
Manners EH6A
Hawkins M5 DBM with AccurateMags
Trigger Tech Diamond curved
Hawkins low 30mm rings
Nightforce NX8 2-20x50 MilC
shooting 140 grain nosler accubonds at 2955 with H1000. Load work recently completed by Evolved Munitions
I haven't weighed this one but it should be around 9-10 lbs.

The 7 mag is my go to hammer. But the barrel is just about torched. It's going to be a sad day when it gets pulled. Most accurate barrel I've ever had. Was consistently in the .1s and recently started opening up. Saaaaad day lol

All my parts have arrived minus the rings I haven't ordered yet. Waiting on an Alex Wheeler spec 300 PRC reamer that should be here in the next 6-8 weeks which is fine because I'm waiting for my M300 lathe from the machine rebuilder to be finished. I should have it back by the time the reamer arrives. Would like to use that lathe vs my 10L.
20210522_185457.jpg

20210522_184845.jpg

20210522_191741.jpg

All my parts have arrived minus the rings I haven't ordered yet. Waiting on an Alex Wheeler spec 300 PRC reamer that should be here in the next 6-8 weeks which is fine because I'm waiting for my M300 lathe from the machine rebuilder to be finished. I should have it back by the time the reamer arrives. Would like to use that lathe vs my 10L.
View attachment 276345

View attachment 276349
View attachment 276350
So around 8lb?
What's the difference in lathes?
I have a Hercus 260 but I'm not planning on doing any precision work, I'm only playing and learning

Should be really close to 8 lbs with the scope and rings which I am happy with considering the components I chose.

The Harrison M300 is a much nicer and a more ridged machine. The ease of operation of it and the rigidity of it makes turning barrels much more enjoyable vs my 1980 South Bend. Although that machine is very nice, in great condition, and can turn out great barrels as well. It just takes less effort to do everything on the Harrison.

I'm building a very similar rifle.

AnTi action w/ 20 moa rail
7 SAUM with a .195 throat for 180 vlds.
AG stock in the APR design
CF barrel 1:8, 20 inches and .750 at the muzzle running a TB Ultra 7
VX6-HD 3-18x44 in Hawkins rings.

The chamber will be cut to run the 180's out long.

I'd stick with the VX5. I don't see where the NF offers any advantage over the VX5.
Like this APR
IMG_3587.jpeg