Lightweight Elk Rifle Build

Looking for a few suggestions on a few components for an elk rifle I'm building myself for an upcoming MT trip. Will be hiking 7-10+ miles a day so trying to keep weight down. I run my own rifle shop so I can build whatever I want. I have plenty of other rifles that will do the job, but they are for the most part 9+ lbs w/o glass.

This week I'm going to start ordering components.
-Defiance AnTi LA
-AG comp. CAT stock
-Trigger tech special
-Proof barrel
-bdl bottom metal

Leaning towards a 280 improved with an 8 twist barrel. I've shot one of these with one of my competition rifles and it does very well. Otherwise ide go with a 7rm or a 30, but would like to use this for antelope and deer too if I wanted to do more backpack style hunting.

Main question here is what would be a good scope/base/ring combo for light weight? I'm use to building accurate rifles, but I'm usually not worried about building as light as possible. Last PRS rifle I built was 18lbs complete.

In doing a little research, the vx5hd in 3-15x44 looks to be a good bang for the buck at about 22oz, was also looking at a NF 4-14x50 F1 SHV MOAR, but that's about 30 oz.

With the 280 imp and a 0 MOA base i was thinking the Hawkins LR Hybrid rings. That should get me to 800 yards w/o a canted base. I don't plan to shoot past 4-500 yards which I am extremely comfortable shooting accurately. The NF has 90 MOA adjustment, so I wouldn't need a canted base, but I don't plan to shoot that far on elk, but maybe smaller game.

Trying to decide if the extra 8 or so oz is worth it when I'm going to be hiking several miles a day with the NF. I don't care about the CDS dials on the leupold because I can do my own dope.

I figure my rifle will be 6lbs, 8 oz w/o a scope, hawkins hybrid rings 4 oz.

Rifle with NF 8lb 10 oz
With leupold 8 lb 2 oz.
The zeiss V4 4-16 sounds like a good fit.

I had Chris at long range customs build my 6.5 saum. Lone peak Razor ti.
24" proof
Trigger tech special
Hawkins rings and bm.
Mb&m titanium muzzle brake.
AG visigoth. Vx6hd 4-24.
Total weight:7.9

My .280AI:
Built by Axisworks
R700 LA trued
Bolt spiral fluted
Carbon fiber bolt knob
TI firing pin and Wolff Blitzschnell spring
Alloy bolt shroud
26" 1:9" Proof Sendero Light w. TBAC CB brake/suppressor mount
Manners EH1 pillar bedded
R700 alloy LA BDL w. Wyatt's extended box
Seekins 20MOA alloy Picatinny rail
Seekins 30mm "Low" rings
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15x50
Flatline Ops level
TBAC Ultra 9 .308

9lbs 9oz empty w. suppressor IIRC

Have you considered the Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44. A used one fits right in your price range, zero stop, and the weight is in the range you are looking for. Great scope with glass well beyond its price.

Should add, the Razor LHT weighs 19 oz.

3-15 magnification and with the Talley Rings, you're sitting at a super light setup.

This my light elk Hammer7-2oz.338NM,8-12 0z w/march 3-24x52. Defiance,Lonewolf,Proof26''

Attachments

• 6x6 & norma.jpg
    6x6 & norma.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 119
I wouldn't trust the VX5, I had a VX6 fail on me while in Colorado 2 years ago. The glass may be better with the VX5 compared to the SHV, but the reliability and repeatability of the NF won't be beat by the Leupold. Take it for what it's worth but I sold both my VX6s after I got home from that trip and bought two NX8s.
B4BAEE09-8793-41EA-9DD9-7DBF4976D138.jpeg

I have found that Red Hawk Rifles in Grand Junction Colorado has very good prices on the Zeiss V4's if you give them a call. I have been to their shop, they always seem to have a fair amount of "Demo" units available. I would make the call.

Liddy
Great place and great people. Purchased a few optics there. I'm an hour and a half away

I have found that Red Hawk Rifles in Grand Junction Colorado has very good prices on the Zeiss V4's if you give them a call. I have been to their shop, they always seem to have a fair amount of "Demo" units available. I would make the call.

Liddy

Dang I didn't know red hawk is in grand junction. We were there last Monday and I could have visited them.

After a lot of research I ordered a NULA in .284 Winchester. Have killed three elk with it so far shooting 160 grain Accubonds. Started out with a VX6HD. When that scope failed to hold zero I replaced it with the NF 2.5-10 I had originally planned to use. No problems with the NF. Bathroom scale says 7 lbs with Talley lightweights. Before my elk hunt last year I fired 4 shots at 835 yds. Half moa. I'm happy with that. Talley lightweights can be cut to 20 moa. There's a outfit called Laiers custom guns in Idaho that does the work. Cost me 85$ shipped. Talley referred me to him.

Had Oregunsmithing build 2 liteweghts one 6.5 cm 23" barrel s&k mounts Leopold 3x9 ultra light cds 6lbs with 4shells in the box, the other one is a 300 wm 24" barrel with brake vx3i 4x14 cds 6.4 lbs empty. Recoil is the same as my 9.2lb. 338 rum. The 6.5 is a tack driver recoil is like my rifles inc 280 ai. Don't get in a hurry check out all of your options. I've spent the last 40 years chasing the lite weight dream and for myself I'm happy I've found what suits me. Good luck

Looking for a few suggestions on a few components for an elk rifle I'm building myself for an upcoming MT trip. Will be hiking 7-10+ miles a day so trying to keep weight down. I run my own rifle shop so I can build whatever I want. I have plenty of other rifles that will do the job, but they are for the most part 9+ lbs w/o glass.

This week I'm going to start ordering components.
-Defiance AnTi LA
-AG comp. CAT stock
-Trigger tech special
-Proof barrel
-bdl bottom metal

Leaning towards a 280 improved with an 8 twist barrel. I've shot one of these with one of my competition rifles and it does very well. Otherwise ide go with a 7rm or a 30, but would like to use this for antelope and deer too if I wanted to do more backpack style hunting.

Main question here is what would be a good scope/base/ring combo for light weight? I'm use to building accurate rifles, but I'm usually not worried about building as light as possible. Last PRS rifle I built was 18lbs complete.

In doing a little research, the vx5hd in 3-15x44 looks to be a good bang for the buck at about 22oz, was also looking at a NF 4-14x50 F1 SHV MOAR, but that's about 30 oz.

With the 280 imp and a 0 MOA base i was thinking the Hawkins LR Hybrid rings. That should get me to 800 yards w/o a canted base. I don't plan to shoot past 4-500 yards which I am extremely comfortable shooting accurately. The NF has 90 MOA adjustment, so I wouldn't need a canted base, but I don't plan to shoot that far on elk, but maybe smaller game.

Trying to decide if the extra 8 or so oz is worth it when I'm going to be hiking several miles a day with the NF. I don't care about the CDS dials on the leupold because I can do my own dope.

I figure my rifle will be 6lbs, 8 oz w/o a scope, hawkins hybrid rings 4 oz.

Rifle with NF 8lb 10 oz
With leupold 8 lb 2 oz.
Been using the same scope on my light weight huntinting rifle for a few years. Has worked flawlessly for me, I have mine in one piece Talley rings

I wouldn't trust the VX5, I had a VX6 fail on me while in Colorado 2 years ago. The glass may be better with the VX5 compared to the SHV, but the reliability and repeatability of the NF won't be beat by the Leupold. Take it for what it's worth but I sold both my VX6s after I got home from that trip and bought two NX8s.View attachment 267883
Beautiful Rifle!

Recent Posts